Snorkeling Fin Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZachMandell

Reaction score
Hi all.

I've been hunting for snorkling info on the web, but coming up dry. Y'all seem like a smart bunch, and hopefully don't mind answering a slightly off topic question.

I've been an occasional snorkeler all my life who is looking for new fins. All I've ever owned up to now are the wal-mart variety which always hurt my feet (what a surprise).

1) I'm looking for full foot fins that are not split fins.

2) Cheap is good, but not at the expense of comfort.

3) Any specific fin / brand reccomendation would be helpful.

4) Any tips on how to tell if fins are any good without being able to give them a water test?

Thanks for the help.

I ask you to reconsider the full foot design, and Im glad you are getting good fins, In the long run they will be cheaper.

I owned some Cressi fins called "Space Frogs" before and they are good they are also made in full foot.
Now I own ScubaPro Jets (non-split) and I must say they are the best, most economical fins I have ever had, not only that but they'll last for like 10 yrs!

Good luck

Not exactly an answer to any of your questions, but if your fins are chafing, try wearing neoprene socks inside them. Made a huge difference for me.

If the problem is leg/ankle strain, look for fins with a smaller and/or more flexible blade.

Hope that helps,

Zept

All the answers you have gotten are good from a comfort standpoint. Here's another thing to look for. Don't get "Flat" fins. By flat I mean the blade sticks straight out from the foot. Get fins that have a down angle on the blade.

If you get flat fins for snorkeling your feet will be plowing air because the stroke will make your legs rise out of the water, because of the angle of the blades. Your ankles can't bend far enough to make the blades stick straight out behind you, unless you use a snorkeling vest and have it pumped full to make your torso way more boyant than your legs.

Flat foot fins are OK for scuba, but not very good for surface use. I have flat foot fins and if I have to swim very far to get back to the dive boat I will either go just under the surface or swim on my back.

Also for snorkel use, I suggest you don't go for the big honking blades. You aren't hauling around a BC and air supply, so you don't need a lot of blade length.

As far as comfort is concerned.... I use strap type and dive boots. Very comfortable, and when you hit the beach, your feet are protected from sharp stuff a little more than bare feet. Urchins really hurt :wacko:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom