Snorkel ~ What would you buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the omersub zoom model in black adn like it alot. I fold it into a pocket when not in use. I would causion you on the mask atachement oint as it is prone to coming off. I replaced this section and love the snorkle. It is cheap, durrable and has a soft bite mouthpiece that cuts down on jaw fatigue.

I used TUSA platina soft and easy to keep in BC for necessary

go for a cheap simple snorkel.. i started out buying a Tusa with all the bells & whistles years ago.. just 1 dive trip & i realised it felt like a heavy load pulling down 1 side of my mask.. after that got a very basic snorkel with emphasis on minimal fuss & being light.. no regrets..

Jason Ooi:
I used TUSA platina soft and easy to keep in BC for necessary

I purchased a TUSA Platina snorkel. It came with a swiveling attachment point that requires you to disassemble your mask and thread the mask strap through the attachment point. So to switch from snorkeling to scuba diving, you have take your mask apart to remove the snorkel?! Or for that matter, if you just want to put your mask back in its protective case, you have to take the strap off? I sent the Platina back, and got the older style TUSA Imprex II, which has a simple snap that slides over your mask strap.

I believe that there is a proper tool for each job.
Snorkles are for snorkling and regulators are for diving.
I only have one mouth so I only take out one at a time.
Besides that, when I dive the snorkle gets in the way of my delivery of octo to my buddy.(7' hose on primary, bungied secondary) and we can't have that happen,can we? Most of my buddies have agreed that this isn't a factor they wish to deal with.
But if you feel you must have one, take Walter's advise as his is usually well thought out and most helpful.

Another vote for simple and cheap. Really, put your money towards important gear. The snorkel just lives in the dive for years and years anyway.

I don't use a snorkel much so I bought a Sherwood Avid. Fits really well into my BC pocket. I used it once on a long swim out, it's not 100% dry but works pretty well. The corrugations do trap a little water. One time I just snapped it around my mask strap folded up during the dive. There's a strong clip that holds the two white pieces together so it's not going to come loose.

Before today, the last post in this thread was May '06. Just sayin'.

That said, I have the Oceanic Pocket Snorkel and really like it. It lives in my pocket, where it belongs. I used it once when I first got it just to test it, and sure enough, worked like a good snorkel.

For a true snorkeling trip, however, the Tusa semi-dry snorkels are the best, IMO, and I would (and do) use one of them over the pocket snorkel. Snorkel's aren't terribly expensive, however, so once I decided to forgo carrying my excellent Tusa (see avatar) around, a pocket snorkel that worked about as well as a real one seemed to be the way to go, and for me, it was.

Before today, the last post in this thread was May '06. Just sayin'.
I hate it when I don't notice that...:11doh:

freediver:
Without a doubt I like the OmersSub Zoom Pro Soft. I have one and use it often. Very pleased with the simplicity of it.

X2 The Best

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom