What camera to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Spock

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been researching the past few days on what camera to get for underwater use. I was told GoPro was good and someone suggested Intova Nova HD but then I heard negative things about both online and on amazon (mainly GoPro on amazon). I read one complaint on another forum on how Intova in general does not make good products, although someone recommended it to me on another.

I am a student right now so don't have much money to spend but I am willing to spend a little more if it is something good. I wanted to spend around $200-400. I did read an article on getting a starter camera where you can add and grow it should you decide to advance so I think that might be an important feature.

I was looking at compact cameras, dslr and mirrorless. I wasn't sure if I should get a regular camera and then get a house for it. I would like to be able to dive 60m at least with it. Another priority for me is good image quality.

I was looking at SeaLife products as well and saw on reviews they had pros/cons for both the DC1400 and Micro HD.

I'm just really confused on what to buy. My purpose in getting an underwater camera is to take pics when diving. I maybe dive once a year at most and do so if I vacation in a suitable location. I would like professional level photos but price is an issue. I also read that professionals won't use compact cameras (I think it was this type).

I am planning a vacay in a few weeks and don't know if I should wait until I finish school and get a job and then buy something over the $1000 range or can I find a good quality one in my budget? I've done several dives already and feel like I am missing out on opportunities to capture my diving experience so I don't like that aspect. Also I am not sure how mandatory is it to get a lighting source?

I am planning to go to turks and caicos

---------- Post added December 9th, 2015 at 02:16 PM ----------

I also was wondering if there are any camera makers that specifically design their cameras for underwater diving. Is it better to get a camera by someone who specializes in this or get a general camera? I read as well that some cameras require filter and I want something that is straight forward to use so I may be open to using a filter

I also was wondering if there are any camera makers that specifically design their cameras for underwater diving. Is it better to get a camera by someone who specializes in this or get a general camera? I read as well that some cameras require filter and I want something that is straight forward to use so I may be open to using a filter

After digital took over and the Nikonos became a relic, the selection of dedicated UW cameras is deplorable. Find a topside camera you like and think you'll be happy with and find an affordable UW housing for it. Canon makes a few for their compacts, and Ikelite's polycarbonate housings aren't too expensive. Much cheaper than the higher-end Al housings.

One of your first challenges will be budget. $400cdn does not buy much.

You should be able to get a decent starter system on your budget: a used compact with housing.

Purchasing new will be a challenge - my current canon G16 was over $500 from Henrys here in town without a housing.

i will pm you with more info...

Hello,

I've been researching the past few days on what camera to get for underwater use. I was told GoPro was good and someone suggested Intova Nova HD but then I heard negative things about both online and on amazon (mainly GoPro on amazon). I read one complaint on another forum on how Intova in general does not make good products, although someone recommended it to me on another.

I am a student right now so don't have much money to spend but I am willing to spend a little more if it is something good. I wanted to spend around $200-400. I did read an article on getting a starter camera where you can add and grow it should you decide to advance so I think that might be an important feature.

For the longest time I was taking video with an Intova Sport HD II and taking stills from it for "pictures." It performed admirably but having switched to DLSR+housing, I can say it was not worth the struggle. I have been increasingly dissatisfied with the video quality of it as well (but it may be just the front getting scuffed up), might upgrade to the GoPro Hero4. With your budget and purpose I would maybe go with a Sealife or a digital camera and housing.

You will needs a filter for mainly action cams, strobe/lighting makes filters redundant as they add the light spectrum that is lost (which is what the filter is compensating for). You won't really grow with your setup until you hit the $2000 dollar mark for a DLSR+housing.

Another priority for me is good image quality.
You probably don't want a GoPro then - action cameras are video cameras. Although it does 12MP stills also, there's no focus or zoom and the lens is typically fixed at 170o although some of their models have a narrower (120o?) mode.

With $400 you're pretty limited to housing a point/shoot. Decent Mirrorless cameras start around $600 and good housings closer to $3K. You can easily spend $5-10K housing a DSLR and not get everything you need. A Canon 5DMKIII - which is an old model - is $2499 without a lens.

One thing you might look at is buying last years model. Camera mfr's release new models almost annually and the housing mfr's struggle to keep up with all the changes. Even moving one control requires a new housing also.

I don't know anything about them but I noticed Reef Photo has a few Ikelite housings priced at $180. I googled this one and found the matching camera for $185. Red filters run around $20-75 so you could get very close to $400. I don't shoot stills so can't answer any questions about the suitability of either product.

Ikelite Ultra-Compact Housing for Canon A2500 IS [ike.6241.25] - $179.95 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros
Amazon.com : Canon PowerShot A2500 16MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 2.7-Inch LCD (Red) - $184

Olympus makes excellent products. Good cameras for when you are on extended surface intervals.
When I bought my tg1 a few years back they were highly rated. I don't think the new generations are any less of a camera.
Olympus also makes the housings to allow full operability.
Side note. The tg series is water and shock resistant. A flood of the housing is not the of the world if and when it happens as long as all ports are sealed properly

The TG-4 is a great camera to start with. It shoots RAW and has a semi-wide lens and great macro. The previous model, the TG-3 is another good choice.

I would also look for a used Canon S95, S100, S110 or S120. They very good and work with a wide range of accessories.

The TG-4 is a great camera to start with. It shoots RAW and has a semi-wide lens and great macro. The previous model, the TG-3 is another good choice.

I would also look for a used Canon S95, S100, S110 or S120. They very good and work with a wide range of accessories.
I agree with these recommendations, especially the used cameras.

Spocks big issue is budget since it is $400cdn. Henrys carries the tg-4 (currently on sale) for $370 before tax. The new camera already exceeds suggested budget. Adding a housing will push Spock way beyond their budget.

For $400cdn some compromises need to be made.

I picked up a second hand Cannon S110 for USD150 off a facebook group, and then got a Meikon housing for USD126 shipped out of China (aliexpress.com). Definitely a budget entry into UW photography, and it has held up well for the past 18mths / 125 dives.

With a $400 budget why even buy a camera. Op even stated when he gets a job he plans spending on a $1,000 system. Rent one at location you will be diving at.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom