Snorkel equipment care?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detox

Registered
Reaction score
Hi I know we mainly talk about diving equipment but perhaps you can help me with snorkel care? I recently purchased a US divers snorkel mask and tube. I had also purchased a set of fins but accidentally lost them on the bus as I had left it when I got off =(. I just took them to cancun and had a blast with them but now what? How should I store and maintain them? the rubber I would guess is sensitive and I love them so much I really want to take care of them. I heard of armour all should I use that on them? also when snorkeling I spit into the mask should I use that method over some defogger chemicals?

Here are a few suggestions you can try....

MASK--- (just in case you didnt know) when you buy a new mask you need to clean the oils off the glass. the best way to do that is to use a non abrasive toothpaste...a little water....and a finger. just put some toothpaste on the glass and rub it well. be sure to rinse it well or you will smell toothpaste a long time.

as far as defogger goes..... you can spit in it...and push it around with your fingers again

you can buy "professional" defoggers and use those....more finger pushing....

or, you can get a small squeeze bottle and put about 2/3 tap water and 1/3 no tears baby shampoo and that works like a champ. two advantages there.....no finger pushing....smells great !!

now that is the prep....as far as care goes....wash it very well in clean water as soon as you can right after a dive....especially if it is an ocean dive....you can dry slightly with a soft cotton cloth but most just let it air dry. personally, i never put any kind of preservative on the "rubber" parts.

as far as fins go....there is no particular prep after buying....but the same care after a dive. Clean as soon as you can with fresh water. I still would not coat the fins with anyting.

All dive gear should be stored out of direct sunlight and preferabley where it can get air. Not sealed up in a big plastic container.

Highly recommend getting some kind of carrier (back pack is cool) to carry your gear with while on vacation...or whatever...helps to keep it from getting lost. I also recommend marking your gear somehow....it all looks alike in a crowd.

one last item....when i go on an ocean dive...i keep two squirt top water bottles filled with fresh water in my pack. That way i can squirt my camera , dive computer, and my mask immediately with fresh water. Sure there are often "camera and mask" buckets on the boat...but by the time the second camera or mask hits the bucket it isnt fresh water any more.

good luck...!! hope this helped

really awsome advise right there. Thanks really helpful to know
ec

Not a problem.

So you have other dive gear like a BC...and how have you been told to take care of the other gear??

detox, Rich has given you a lot of pretty decent advice. The main thing about gear maintenance is to throughly soak/rinse it in FRESH WATER. You can usually towel dry it a bit after, but depending on how warm/dry it is where you live, often it takes about a day or two for it to be completely dry. Then, as Rich said, storage....
the rubber I would guess is sensitive and I love them so much I really want to take care of them. I heard of armour all should I use that on them? also when snorkeling I spit into the mask should I use that method over some defogger chemicals?
I'd like to point out to you that the "rubber" that you are refering to is in fact silicone. DO NOT use ANYTHING on it! Other than the maintenance that was already discussed, you can just towel/air dry it & let it be.

The only thing that MAY happen over time is that the silicone becomes yellowed. Usually this happens if the mask (etc) was stored with something neoprene, like a wetsuit. It won't affect the life or functionality of the silicone, it just affects the colour.

DSDO,

~SubMariner~

Just one comment concerning your fins.When you store them make sure they are flat and not stood on end or they will curl and warp.Other than that you got some great advice.

Back
Top Bottom