snorkel differences..real or imagined?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was skeptical of the newfangled snorkels when they came out, and some of the early models really, uh, sucked? Or not, as the case may be.

But the newer ones really are effective.

I've been leading student study tours every year or two where snorkeling is involved, and over the last 25-30 years I've noticed fewer (none anymore, really) issues caused by a mouthful of water.

Do you have any specific favorite?

I wish I knew what brands we own. They have purge valves at the bottom and float valves at the top. There have only been a few times I have been surprised by not being able to take a breath because the float valve is closed by a wave. That was easily remedied by raising the head or waiting for the trough of the wave. Very little water got in, so the purge valve was rarely needed. I doubt you could find these snorkels. I think we bought them about 15 years ago.

As a lifelong snorkeller, never a scuba diver, I've come to prefer simple, traditional designs. There have been several new and revised national and international standards on snorkels dating from British Standard 4532 of 1969/1977 through German Standard 7876 of 1980/1991 to European Standard 1972 of 1997/2015. Here's a table I compiled showing prescribed changes in barrel length and internal diameter or in inner volume over five decades:
SnorkelStandards.jpg

Observations on how these dimensions have changed over time as science and technology have progressed:
  • Maximum tube length has almost halved (from 600 to 380 mm) over the years.
  • Maximum bore (inner diameter) has increased (from 18 to 25 mm) over the years.
  • Capacity (or inner volume) has replaced inner diameter when dimensioning snorkels over the years.
  • Different snorkel dimensions have evolved for different users over the years (first adults/children; then heights >150 cm and <150 cm; then individual lung capacities).
The latest European Standard EN 1972, dated 2015 and entitled "Diving equipment. Snorkels. Requirements and test methods", sets a maximum length of 350 millimetres and a maximum inner volume of 150 cubic centimetres for breathing tubes used by people with small lung capacities. That includes small children, who may not have the pulmonary strength to breathe easily when using an adult-sized snorkel head downwards on the surface, or to blow water out of the barrel when surfacing after a dive.

Here's my personal snorkel collection :):
my_snorkels3-jpg.452862.jpg

1. Global Riviera snorkel (Made in USA). S-shaped plastic tube with ball valve, rubber mouthpiece (missing) and adjustable rubber head strap.
2. Heinke snorkel tube (Made in England). J-shaped anodised aluminium tube with black rubber mouthpiece.
3. Britmarine "Lloyd Bridges" black snorkel (Made in England for American market). J-shaped black plastic tube with keeper and black rubber mouthpiece.
4. Britmarine "Marina" snorkel (Made in England). J-shaped blue plastic tube with keeper and blue rubber mouthpiece.
5. Britmarine "Turtle" snorkel (Made in England). Blue plastic tube with combination U-bend and mouthpiece in blue rubber.
6. Nemrod snorkel (Made in Spain). Orange plastic tube with combination V-bend and mouthpiece in black rubber.
7. Yaroslavl snorkel (Made in Russia). L-shaped blue plastic tube with blue rubber offset rotatable mouthpiece.
8. Soviet snorkel (Made in the USSR). L-shaped aluminium tube with green rubber keeper and grey rubber offset mouthpiece.
9. Sommap Annelé snorkel (Made in France). Black plastic tube with keeper and combination corrugated flexible hose and mouthpiece in black rubber.
10. SEAC Corrugato Silner snorkel. Black plastic tube with keeper and combination corrugated flexible hose and mouthpiece in black EPDM.
11. AQA Jumbo snorkel (Made in Japan). Contoured black wide-bore plastic tube with keeper and rubber elbow with rotatable rubber mouthpiece.
12. Paragon SN2250 snorkel (Made in Taiwan). Contoured pink wide-bore plastic barrel with keeper, semi-dry top and silicone mouthpiece with purge valve.
13. Paragon SN2250 snorkel (Made in Taiwan). Contoured yellow wide-bore plastic barrel with keeper, semi-dry top and silicone mouthpiece with purge valve.

Snorkels 1-8 (with the possible exception of No 7) are no longer in production, while 9-13 are still available from online dealers.

Last edited:
A proper snorkel is simple, with no purge valve or semi-dry mechanical nonsense involved.

A bit elitist and certainly a wee bit luddite.

A bit elitist and certainly a wee bit luddite.
No, the simple snorkels just work much better, have less drag, and clear with marvelous ease. Their use can be mastered very quickly.

I've used many snorkels, both semi-dry and wet, and I found most to be okay. I can, however, tell you one snorkel NOT to buy: Atomic SV2. This expensive thing touts its "scupper technology." Well, the fancy scupper makes it difficult to impossible to completely clear—there's always a little bit of water gurgling around in the bottom of the J. I complained to my LDS, who sent it to Atomic for evaluation. Atomic returned it saying it was fine. Don't know what I was thinking when I bought it, but it was absolutely the worst dive/snorkel purchase I've ever made. I don't even want to give it away or use it as a loaner.

Ah, I feel better now.

If you want a dry snorkel a Tusa Hyperdry works well.

My previous snorkel was the Mares semi-dry that was purchased in 1997. Last year I did the whale swim in Tonga. For last years trip I decided it was time to upgrade and bought the Atomic SV2 semi-dry Atomic Aquatics SV Series Snorkels. I am really glad I made the purchase. I found it easy to use and easy to breath through.

Have a great time on your whale swim. I was in Vava'u early September last year thinking it was a once in a life time trip. I did this trip for my 50th birthday present to myself. Bucket list check box ticked. However, our guild from last year offered me a opportunity to go back at 50% off. So I jumped at the opportunity and I will be headed back to Vava'u at the end of September for another 11 days.

It's a life changing experience. The first time you slip into the water with a mother and calf is unforgettable. Or your first heat run, that will get your heart pumping!

Have a great trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom