Snorkel boat ops in west Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frank O

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and son are non-divers, but avid and experienced snorkelers. On vacations we like to mix shore-based snorkeling with one or two snorkel-oriented outings by boat.

Our past experience in Hawaii included a couple of nice day trips on two different ops on the Big Island that took groups of ~12 out on RIBs for relatively casual, not-too-supervised snorkeling. By contrast, one year we went on a motor cat trip in Kauai that we found to be very regimented (large crowd, everyone was compelled to wear inflatable vests and stay in supervised groups with limited times in the water, etc).

We're hoping to replicate the first category of experience when we are in Maui next week staying near Napili Bay. Are there any ops in that general area (Lahaina?) that are worth recommending?

Frank,

If you are planning on diving while they snorkel then I would suggest Lahaina Divers. I know they accomodate snorkelers while people go diving. Downside to them would be the number of people that might be on the boat.

If everyone is going to just snorkel then I would try Pacific Whale Foundation or Trilogy. I believe they only go out of Ma'alaea Harbor though so you have about a 20 mile drive from Lahaina.

There are so many options and operators for snorkel tours, but I believe the 2 mentioned above might be your best choices.

Thanks. We enjoyed a trip on Trilogy the last time we were on Maui, but I hadn't run across the Pacific Whale Foundation yet.

I just figured out the code word for RIBs there. Apparently operators call them "ocean rafts." I guess that sounds more adventuresome ...

Sounds like you guys are ready for an Intro Dive.

There's Underwater Discoveries that leaves from Mala Ramp. Contact Captain Woody and see what he can do for you. Maui's best snorkel trip to Lanai in my opinion.

Check out his website: Private Charter Boat - Maui Hawaii | Underwater Discoveries

Thanks, Doug, I think someone passed on some favorable comments about Woody's op but they couldn't remember his name -- we'll check it out.

Re intro dives, I've been certified 10 years and dive year-round in L.A. However, my wife and son can't be dragged near a tank :shocked2: (wife says she has trashed eustachian tubes, and can't handle descents). But we have a lot of fun in the water anyway.

Back
Top Bottom