Sneak Peak! NEW Shearwater NERD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayne at DiveSeekers

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Can't wait to check this out at DEMA! Possible future of computers? Not just Rebreathers but OC Divers?

NERD.jpg

I am wondering where there intended mount point is. The unit I have seen would definitely block a large portion of the average divers mask

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Right now it is for RB and it is the size of their normal HUD so it will not block vision. Thinking/looking into the future, I can maybe see this mounted to a reg hose. Who knows.....just putting it out there!

As far as I can tell, this is designed to clamp onto the DSV/BOV of a CCR loop. As you can see in the image above, there are three PPO2 values on the display. It is a beauty, and for CCR divers it is awesome.

Seems like it is "out there" to get hit and banged up, and an entanglement hazard.

Just what kind of "problem" is it supposed to solve?

Seems like it is "out there" to get hit and banged up, and an entanglement hazard.

As opposed to current CCRs, which lack any sort of HUD that could get banged up/entangled?

Seems like it removes the need to monitor two systems by putting the computer info in the same spot as the HUD info (I'm guessing gas switches and reconfiguration are still on the box itself). If/when I get into eCCR, this is a piece of gear I'd like to have... I do wonder if those who have adapted to the HUD's minimalist approach of info delivery will have trouble integrating actual pO2 figures in its place.

Reactions: Jax

I saw a early prototype but the release version should be about the same size as the current SW HUD. Which is very small. The cord wraps around your loop hose to prevent entanglement. And the HUD itself Does not stick out beyond your loop. So there is very little hazard. I would say none, but to speak in absolutes in diving is not realistic.

As to what "problem" does it solve. The SW hud along with HUD's from other units show the ppo2 of the cells through a code of flashing lights. That is all they show you. Just the ppo2 reflected by the cells. This new HUD will allow you to see everything that you would see by looking down at your SW computer: depth, time, TTS, ppo2, etc. Is it a huge deal to look down at your wrist? No not really. Would it be convenient to have all the information right there in front of your mask? Yes, especially with certain activities. Your scootering, your hand is on the scooter with your computer, but now you can see all the info on your computer in your HUD. Same for photographers or videographers who spend most of there dive looking through a viewfinder or at a small display screen on the back of the camera, now all the information they need to know from there computer is reflected right there in front of their mask.

Sure looks fun and innovative. Interested to see if they incorporate the concept more into the recreational market eventually.

Sure looks fun and innovative. Interested to see if they incorporate the concept more into the recreational market eventually.
Either recreational, or at least open circuit. Looking at the design, the mount seems to be way too large to fit on a regular regulator, it is really meant to be put around a breathing loop.

On the other hand, to be completely fair, for rec this would just be the ultimate bling gadget.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom