Sneak Peak! NEW Shearwater NERD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure looks fun and innovative. Interested to see if they incorporate the concept more into the recreational market eventually.

There is & it has been around for a few years. Check out Oceanic's Datamask & Aeries Compumask (same thing). The display is very similar to the new HUD.

Apparently the way it is designed it is suppose to give the appearance of looking at a full size predator/petrel. I for one can hardly wait to upgrade my HUD on my JJCCR to this.

I see rEvo rebreathers already has at the upgrade as an option (early 2014), I hope many of the other manufactures follow suit, shortly as well!!

The mount is currently for a rebreather mouthpiece.

However, this mount is easily removed, leaving behind a simple dovetail that can attach to other adapters to mount in other ways. We are examining (and have dive tested a few options) mounting for open-circuit.

The image is not projected onto the mask. The optics make the image appear like a 32" TV at a distance of about 12'. So if you can see clearly at 12 feet (4m) away, then you will be able to read the NERD. Reading glasses are not needed nor wanted.

While the NERD will partially block part of your field of vision, your brain does an amazing job of filling in missing information from the other eye. Diver testers have not found it to be intrusive. Unfortunately, if you only have vision in one eye, then the NERD would probably be unsuitable.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

There is & it has been around for a few years. Check out Oceanic's Datamask & Aeries Compumask (same thing). The display is very similar to the new HUD.
Not exactly. The virtual focal distance of the info displayed on the Datamask is much closer to the eye. The NERD uses a new optical design of some sort, which, as mentioned above the NERD has the virtual focus further out - no gauge readers needed, and no eye strain.

The attached photo is an unaltered shot, where the NERD display was held almost in contact with the camera lens. You can see the sign (12 feet in the background) is in the same focus as the display, even though the bezel around the display is very blurred.

I'll have a review posted shortly.

Attachments

• NERD_10.jpg
    NERD_10.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 509
Reactions: Jax
I would really love to have one of these for my rebreather. I think it's an awesome idea. I would like to know what the diameter of the unit is. Sadly, this thing costs a small fortune, but I'll probably figure out a way to swing it.

Anyone know what 30mm is in imperial? We both live in the USA right?

Not exactly. The virtual focal distance of the info displayed on the Datamask is much closer to the eye. The NERD uses a new optical design of some sort, which, as mentioned above the NERD has the virtual focus further out - no gauge readers needed, and no eye strain.

The attached photo is an unaltered shot, where the NERD display was held almost in contact with the camera lens. You can see the sign (12 feet in the background) is in the same focus as the display, even though the bezel around the display is very blurred.

I'll have a review posted shortly.

No guage readers needed or eye strain on the visual of the Datamask... I had one for a while. The difference in distance from the eye to the view screen between the Datamask & the new HUD is about 2",... maybe 3" at most.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom