smurf gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

is the bungee in the wrist seal uncomfortable?

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

i'll take pics on saturday. if you're good.

is the bungee in the wrist seal uncomfortable?

No. Can't even feel it.

Not that I'm really one to talk. I don't like blue gloves. I moved back to thick (5mm) wet gloves.

What the hell is EE doing stocking blue gloves??

When/if I dive florida, I'm bringing a sacrificial set of blue gloves and cutting the fingers out of 'em.

If my glove ever floods, I'd just pull the bungee if it was bad enough to start getting my arm wet.

You ever tried that?

I have. Couldn't do it. Suit was too squeezed on my wrist to even locate the bungee, let alone pull it.

When I go back to dry gloves, I'd appreciate any tips on technique.

No. Can't even feel it.

Not that I'm really one to talk. I don't like blue gloves. I moved back to thick (5mm) wet gloves.

I was using 5 mil gloves too.. but when my fingers got so stiff from the cold that I was not sure I could even use my BCD, I decided to try something else :wink:

Its surprising sometimes how small a vent you need to get air in the gloves (and increase the insulation effect of fabric glove liners). Some guys just leave the thumb loop from the undergarment under the seal.

OK tonight I am going to try a long (12" or so) piece of thin bungee and run it from my middle finger down past the wrist, and under the wrist seal. If all goes well on the dive then at the end I will pull the glove off on the safety stop. With the strap all the way up my finger hole (inside the blue glove), the bungee SHOULD come out from under the wrist seal as the glove comes off. The bungee should allow for normal range of motion too.
Now I think I explained that pretty well but if you really need photos I'll see what I can do. :shakehead:

I always put the bungees in the same spot. I have a knot on the end sticking forward. It's easy to locate and easy to grip. Just pull. Yes, it sucks that your hand is now completely exposed, but it's not like you were going to stay warm with the flooded glove (nevermind flooded suit) anyway. I never notice the bungee when in the water. It's a non-issue if using something decently soft, small, and correctly placed.

And you know your problem with dry gloves simply stems from the fact you never could get both to stay dry, right? :p

Edit: And to the OP, I've used dry gloves for 95% of the dives I've done. I love them. Decent warmth and very good dexterity once you get used to them (correctly sized gloves and liners matter, and yes, it does help when they get crushed in the water; that said, I'm fine gearing up with them now topside, too). Just a great investment for those diving in colder water.

You ever tried that?

I have. Couldn't do it. Suit was too squeezed on my wrist to even locate the bungee, let alone pull it.

I was using 5 mil gloves too.. but when my fingers got so stiff from the cold that I was not sure I could even use my BCD, I decided to try something else :wink:

It was 40° (+/-) water that sparked the blue gloves in the first place. I've never been able to keep them dry, so consequently I was colder than with wet gloves :D

I went with the cheaper option.

I always put the bungees in the same spot. I have a knot on the end sticking forward. It's easy to locate and easy to grip. Just pull. Yes, it sucks that your hand is now completely exposed, but it's not like you were going to stay warm with the flooded glove (nevermind flooded suit) anyway.

Ah. I was always trying to pull it in (up my arm), not the other way around. Am I understanding right?

And you know your problem with dry gloves simply stems from the fact you never could get both to stay dry, right? :p

LOL. Look what we posted at the same time.

Am I understanding right?

Mine sit with the knot on the glove side of the latex seal. I can spin off the dry glove, reach with my other hand and grab the knot, and pull out the bungee (it's a couple inches long). Seal is now once again secured.

As I mentioned, I've only done this once in the water, but it wasn't a problem. I actually suspected I had a leak in the glove before getting in (this wasn't a big dive), so had backup wet gloves in my pocket. Five minutes into the dive, I could tell it was leaking. Pulled one wet glove out, switched, stuck the dry glove and liner in the pocket, and we went on with the dive.

It was 40° (+/-) water that sparked the blue gloves in the first place. I've never been able to keep them dry, so consequently I was colder than with wet gloves :D

I went with the cheaper option.

I didn't realize SoCal water got that cold. I figured you guys were a few degrees warmer than we were ... at least, that's been the case when I was down there.

Anyway, I wore wet gloves for years. Switched after a long, February dive with Uncle Pug one time when he had to help me back into the boat because I couldn't make my fingers grip the ladder. It's easy to ignore the discomfort of cold hands, but when you can't feel to grip something, then it becomes more than just a discomfort issue.

If you think bolt snaps are difficult with drygloves, try manipulating buttons on an underwater housing sometime ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You ever tried that?

Thankfully I haven't had to do it!! And it's not a failure I particularly care to simulate.

The few leaks I've gotten in my glove have never been enough to actually get my arm wet (in contrast, when my zipper was leaking really badly, it was enough to get my entire dry glove soaked after it thorougly saturated my left arm and undergarments!).

Mine are similar to Rainer's....I have a knot at the end of the bungee that would help me locate it and grab it to pull it out (out of the suit, not into :D). The bungee is also sufficiently small that I don't feel it and it wouldn't leak into my suit at an alarming rate.

BTW, Marc, what dry glove system were you using? I know you used to always have wring the water out of your liners after a dive....but I never paid attention to which system it was. I've never had an issue with my Vikings....in fact, you almost couldn't flood them unless you did it on purpose (in terms of getting them sealed).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom