SMS100 / Nomad XT / or wait SMS75

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a Nomad XT sidemount steels with AL stage & deco bottles. I've never used it backmount, AL 80 only, or with a rebreather but I know people who've done all those so I know it's possible. I went to the XT from a homebrew rig and was really impressed at how much better the XT trimmed out compared to my homebrew; I'm all for letting someone else do the engineering. On the downside, it is bulky and has more stuff on it than I'd like, and the webbing is sewn to stuff (eg itself, the frame/soft plate) in places making modifications more difficult than they need to be. It works well for me, but if I was in the market today I'd be looking hard at the SMS75; don't know if it can be used BM or with a rebreather -- I think it's a minimalized, more specific system.

I live in Edmonton and have a few SM systems from UTD, I've had no issues and they've cone out with more models that are pretty hardcore. Contact me if you'd like to stop by and have a look. The hybrid does single BM and SM, check out the UTD website for more details. I've used the hollis u and halcyon systems as well, I agree the SMS 100, nomad or UTD systems would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks gearhound, stealth doesn't have enough lift for what I will be doing, even a razor is on a short end.
Do you know if nomad can take the backmount singles, twins or CCR rebreather?
I'm from Edmonton but now live in Thailand and only come home fir a short time to visit. I'll be back end of the month for a few weeks and have a meeting in red deer so may as well drive all the way to Calgary after the meeting, and check the nomad system. It would help to know before hand if it can take BM bottles or a CCR rebreather.

Unfortunately it sounds like we'll miss one another. We're all headed down to Mexico June 2-11 to go cave diving with our Stealths. The Nomad is at the shop behind the counter, but the people that can explain it the best will be gone. I know you can back mount singles and twins with adapter plates, but don't know about ccr (since I'm not a ccr diver).

For those looking at the SMS 75; Hollis has told me that the "first production is sold out. We expect the second batch to arrive May 27th."

Thanks gearhound, stealth doesn't have enough lift for what I will be doing, even a razor is on a short end.
Do you know if nomad can take the backmount singles, twins or CCR rebreather?
I'm from Edmonton but now live in Thailand and only come home fir a short time to visit. I'll be back end of the month for a few weeks and have a meeting in red deer so may as well drive all the way to Calgary after the meeting, and check the nomad system. It would help to know before hand if it can take BM bottles or a CCR rebreather.

The older models of the nomad will take twins happily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom