Smoking Protocols on Dive Boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeffkruse2000:
If I were on a dive boat and someone started smoking I would be very upset. I would ask that person to please stop. If they did not stop I would then start to "rinse" my dive gear. Some how I am sure some water would be spilled :)

If a boat permits smoking and your response to someone who is smoking within the policies of the boat is throwing water at them then you are the only one in violation of any policy since I'm sure that...what could you call it? property assault?...is certainly not permitted on any boat.

As of today smoking though legal is permitted in a very few places (mostly out doors). If you choose to be in one of those places you just might have to deal with it. The few places where smoking is permitted are easily avoided. If you don't like it then don't go there.

Now as far as I know...throwing things at people is disallowed just about everyplace. Given that, I would advise you to be careful who you throw things at.

GeekDiver:
If you are in a posted no smokeing area or inside I would agree with you and would also voice concerns if it caused a problem. In Dons case it appears that he was on a boat that allowed smoking but was subjected to unfair treatment at the request of a non-smoker. The boat capt should have established clear rules and informed all aboard smokeing or non and should have either requested Don to move to the back of the boat or told the non-smoker to move to a non-smoking area.
In fact I do support Don's position in this scenario. If smoking was permitted on the boat and that was known prior to the boat leaving, then yes, he should have every right to do so.

I don't think you have been abusive but many are. People will object just because they don't like it even if there are no specific health risks involved. Not to long ago my Mgr informed me that an unnamed co-worker complained because of my smokeless tobacco use in my own personal office space. They were near my area and saw my sealed 20oz soda bottle that I use to spit in and thought it was yucky. There are no standards to smokeless tobacco use in my company that I'm aware of but people will try to have it's use baned and will make any BS up they can to push the issue. It the same thing smokers have to go through.
I understand that there are people who do this, but my reasons for disliking smoking is primarily from a health standpoint - mine! I don't really care too much about what it's doing to other people's health that I don't really know as it is their life and I don't have any say in it. But if they're going about it in a way that directly affects me, that's when I have issue with it. And if it's a situation as I described before where I have little or no opportunity to make a choice whether to be subjected to such an environment, the that is what I have issue with.

This is really getting old. I think both sides have made some good points, so perhaps we can lay this to rest and just agree to be courteous and respect the other side's viewpoint?

This is an interesting thread, and while I read through three, I'm not about to read through 18 pages of argument. Like many of you I'm a former smoker. In fact, at times, when stressed out, I light up. On a dive boat, there is room for everyone, smokers and non-smokers alike. Even on the smallest boat I've been, there has been a place for those who still light up; the most leeward and downwind side of the stern. If a non-smoker needs to move, move. Both you and the smoker paid for one thing, a dive trip, not to ride on a smoking, or non-smoking boat. Funny how it is, but in the three pages I've read, everyone who complained did so about the smell and without regard for health issues. Now, I seem to recall that cigarette smoking has not been scientifically proven to cause lung cancer, so if most of what I've read thus far deals with the smell and not the health factor, what's the big deal? would you say something to those whose anti-perspirant cease to work after the dive and who sweat profusely on the way to the dock? How about the engine fumes? C'mon people we can all co-exist, but it takes a combined effort.

Don, smoke on brother!!! You seem to be as decent a smoker as I used to be.

Rick

Amen. More difficult than handling smokers was scanning those pages of argument. Try to summarize your arguments, people!

Originally Posted by jeffkruse2000
If I were on a dive boat and someone started smoking I would be very upset. I would ask that person to please stop. If they did not stop I would then start to "rinse" my dive gear. Some how I am sure some water would be spilled :)

MikeFerrara:
If a boat permits smoking and your response to someone who is smoking within the policies of the boat is throwing water at them then you are the only one in violation of any policy since I'm sure that...what could you call it? property assault?...is certainly not permitted on any boat.

As of today smoking though legal is permitted in a very few places (mostly out doors). If you choose to be in one of those places you just might have to deal with it. The few places where smoking is permitted are easily avoided. If you don't like it then don't go there.

Now as far as I know...throwing things at people is disallowed just about everyplace. Given that, I would advise you to be careful who you throw things at.

Mike... i agree with you 100% sir, if someone threw water or anything at the wrong person, they might get thrown in jail or even worse... some people might even throw lead back and i'm not talking about the lead they dive with.

steve

crispos:
Try to summarize your arguments, people!
Summarization of 18 pages:

1. Smokers - "I smoke and don't like being told I can't smoke, or shouldn't because it bothers people."

2. Non-smokers - "I don't smoke and don't like to breathe your smoke so please refrain."

3. Repeat.

Summarization:

1. Smokers. "Those health nuts from California won't leave me alone! Leeward, aft, in a dinghy... doesn't matter where I go on the boat without getting dirty looks. Why don't they SAY something?!"

2. Non-smokers. "There must be SOMEONE on this boat I can harass... between my peanut, pollen, pork, smoke, and MSG allergies I can't lose!"

Do non-smoking boats even exist?

archman:
Do non-smoking boats even exist?
Yes: I am compiling a list of smoke free operators at the moment and will publish it on the web ASAP.

If any non-smokers know of any smoke-free dive operators, especially if you have personal experience with them, please let me know.

Cheers,

K.

jeffkruse2000:

MikeFerrara:

DivemasterSteve:
Mike... i agree with you 100% sir, if someone threw water or anything at the wrong person, they might get thrown in jail or even worse... some people might even throw lead back and i'm not talking about the lead they dive with.

So in summary ... if Jeff saw someone smoking on a dive boat, he'd "accidentally" spill water on them or their scuba gear (he didn't really specify) ... :11:

Mike would then sue Jeff for assault ... :boxing_sm

... for spilling water on someone dressed to go scuba diving ... :confused2

Steve would dispense with all that unpleasantry and just shoot him ... :bigun2:

Only in America!

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
So in summary ... if Jeff saw someone smoking on a dive boat, he'd "accidentally" spill water on them or their scuba gear (he didn't really specify) ... :11:

Mike would then sue Jeff for assault ... :boxing_sm

... for spilling water on someone dressed to go scuba diving ... :confused2

Steve would dispense with all that unpleasantry and just shoot him ... :bigun2:

Only in America!

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think you misread his post. I'm pretty sure he was suggesting that he would spill water to put out the persons smoke...NOT spill it on their gear.

You might be almost right about saying...only in America...or at least only in this day and age of people apparantly not having enough of their own problems to worry about.

Like some years ago when a group of protestors harassed a bunch of father and son teams participating in a father and son dove shoot put on by the state at a state run hunting area. They were willing to commit crimes against people to protect legal game birds. LOL

It's amazing what some people will resort to and some how justify in order to FORCE their own values on some one else.

Even though throwing things (even water) at people and damaging anothers property (even ciggarettes) is unargueably socially unacceptable we seem to have people who think it's ok if that person happens to doing something they don't like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom