Smoking on a dive boat customer poll

Does smoking on a dive boat affect your choice?

• No, I smoke and don't care if it is allowed or not

Votes: 18 10.7%
  • No, I don't smoke and don't care if it allowed or not

Votes: 51 30.2%
  • Yes, I smoke and will only dive on smoking boats

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Yes, I don't smoke and won't book with a smoking boat

Votes: 96 56.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder how those who voted for the first option have interpreted it. Would they simply not smoke, or would they ignore the fact that it's not allowed?

If we're assuming liveaboard, I'd have to say I'd prefer non-smoking. I don't mind smokers, generally speaking, and occasionally even like the smell of a fresh cigarette (stale smells on clothes and gear is always nasty, though) but wouldn't want to have to bunk with someone who was a smoker. Non-bunk situation, maybe I'd be okay as long as there was no smoking allowed near food or gear. No smoking in the head either.

On a day-boat I really wouldn't care that much. If it was a large group of smokers who didn't have consideration for non-smokers I might reconsider but that's so uncommon as to be ridiculous. That's like saying non-smokers wouldn't ever give a seat to a smoker... crazy right? :)

I wonder how those who voted for the first option have interpreted it. Would they simply not smoke, or would they ignore the fact that it's not allowed?

I would simply not smoke because those are the rules. Those that did should face a fine or something. Those that ignore the rules -- be it smokers, drinkers, anything-- are the reason things just get out of hand. Those that don't enforce the rules are even worse. Of course, I only smoke my pipe 3 times daily, so maybe there are others who voted No (#1) meaning they'd smoke anyway.

I would simply not smoke. I go through about a cigarette every 2 hours or so, but I can turn it off for a couple hours or even the whole day (yeah I'll prob chain smoke about 3 when we get back, but hey it's the little things) However as someone pointed out, if it is a live aboard I won't book with one that doesn't allow smoking. It's not even an option, even if I'm floating 10 meters behind the boat on a life preserver...

No brainer, why would any non-smoker want any smoking on a live a board? I'll choose my itinerary based on the policies.
Id rather choose the boats based on the diving, but then again, Im there to dive..

Unfortunately, I am still a smoker. I realize that some people are bothered by it and I act accordingly. I don't smoke in my house or car. If I were to go on a liveaboard, I would select one that would allow outdoor smoking only. Even where it is permitted I am always aware of my surroundings and do my very best to ensure my filthy habit doesn't encroach on others. It boils down to common courtesy in my mind. Some people act more selfishly than others I suppose.

The boat I usually frequent will have the occasional smoker. The general rule is, you can smoke at the back of the boat while the boat is moving. I can't remember there ever being more than one or two smokers on the boat at any given time.

Smoked for 18 years, not anymore. Couldn't care less.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

No brainer, why would any non-smoker want any smoking on a live a board? I'll choose my itinerary based on the policies.

Liveaboards are big enough to accommodate smokers in designated locations far away from where non-smokers have to be exposed to it. As long as that is the case, I'll choose my liveaboard based on location, price, and diving opportunities.

It's the smaller, day boats that matter more to me. I have in the past, and will in the future, base my decision on dive ops on whether or not I'm going to be put in a position to have to breathe someone else's cigarette smoke ... which I adamantly refuse to do.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom