Smoking and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No matter how small the slight?

Bob
I am really shocked we have to explain how legislation works to someone with your academic credentials.

Things are not absolute. There are shades of gray. We all agree that murder is a no-no, but we discuss differences that lead to first degree murder, second degree murder, manslaughter, etc. Punching someone in the nose is also problematic, but we have variations in how we treat them legally as well.

There is a legislative process in which deliberative bodies discuss the pros and cons of proposed laws. If a legislative body determines that society benefits from regulating a certain behavior, such a law is passed.

Similarly, organizations can set rules as well. Before smoking in restaurants was forbidden by law where I live, many restaurants had policies opposing them.

Almost all laws fall under the general category of regulating the way we interact with one another, but that does not mean we forbid all ways we can interact with one another.

Even though I am put off by the smell of burning tobacco I cut them slack as being the victims of a very compelling adiction.

Point taken and while I don't disagree that to some extent, smokers are victims, not unlike drug addicts or those with a gambling addiction, the righteous attitude is probably what bothers me the most, such as the earlier post by a smoker who says those who complain are a$$hats, as if somehow they're entitled to poison our bodies, pollute our world and stink up the air we breathe as if it's a human right.

Luckily it is easier to escape jerks on the internet than smokers on a small boat.

Point taken and while I don't disagree that to some extent, smokers are victims, not unlike drug addicts or those with a gambling addiction, the righteous attitude is probably what bothers me the most, such as the earlier post by a smoker who says those who complain are a$$hats, as if somehow they're entitled to poison our bodies, pollute our world and stink up the air we breathe as if it's a human right.
Freedom of association.

Do not go where there are smokers.

Freedom of association.

Do not go where there are smokers.

Oh, yeah that makes sense. Next time I'm on a dive vacation and I'm on the boat at 8 am after signing my waivers and putting my gear on board, I'll wait to set it up until after I question each person on the boat as to whether they will be smoking at some point during the excursion and if so I'll just pack up my stuff and go jetskiing.

I'll wait to set it up until after I question each person on the boat as to whether they will be smoking at some point during the excursion and if so I'll just pack up my stuff and go jetskiing.

An easier way could be to ask at the time of booking if smoking is allowed, and only go with no smoking boats.

That way smokers don't have to deal with people misusing their fumes.

Win-win

That's what all laws do--or do you think we should allow murder because it would be regulating things we do that affect others?

That's what laws do "allow murder", it's called execution.

Point taken and while I don't disagree that to some extent, smokers are victims, not unlike drug addicts or those with a gambling addiction

BS. I smoked because I liked it, I was not trying to quit and getting sucked back in, kicking and screaming, by the evil big tobacco monster. I still do like the smell of tobacco smoke (but not of smokers). I still like having dopamine in my brain too.

Back
Top Bottom