Smoking and diving/ how bad is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wheezy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know that smoking causes increased risk to DCS. That's about all I know about it. I'm wondering why/ how bad? Any steps to minimize risk (besides the obvious quit smoking)?

Just looking for as much info on this topic as I can get.

I can't speak to the DCS angle, but 95% of my ear/equalization problems have gone away since I quit.

-kate

No problems there, but interesting... very interesting. I would love to know what is going on with the body and diving after smoking... any resources you guys/gals can at least point me to.

thanks again... :D

Hello:

I don't believe that smoking has a great deal to do with causing or increasing the risk for a decompression accident, except for possibly an increased CO2. However, it certainly does increase your risk for pulmonary problems that might eventually lead to pulmonary emphysema, mucous plugs and gas embolism. There are also problems with elevated partial pressures of carbon monoxide at depth, hypoxemia and CO2 retention.

As stated earlier, if you have had difficulty clearing, cessation of smoking can probably ease your problem.

As the effects of cold water immersion and nicotine are similar, one might expect an additive effect. (Increased hypothermia, vasoconstriction, hypertension)

There is a discussion of smoking on this web page
http://www.scuba-doc.com/smkndvng.htm

I had seen the pulmonary stuff before but wasn't comfortable posting it. I wasn't sure on my facts. I sometimes need reminders on the many reasons why I quit almost two years ago. That helps

Tom

Thanks DOC... I'm enrolling in a Medical class to understand your response and will get back to you... :D

Really though.. thank you. I've been wondering for some time and have seen similar posts on some other boards but never any good answers.

I appreciate your time.. thanks again

Some of the info comes from the cumulative experience of Navy Master Chiefs, who noted more frequent DCS in smokers, but never pinned it down as to the exact reason for it.

I think Scubadoc hit it on the head with the air trapping, etc but we don't know exactly why tobacco affects DCS.

Best bet is to add up your risk factors at the start of a dive, and:
1. Dive with a degree of caution consistent with your risk factors, and
2. Make a mental resolution to improve your risk factors and thereby gain increased safety/ diving freedom.

Dive safe and often.. Remember, it's the best sport in town.. let's make each minute count!

John Reinertson

It is known that inciting id playing a role in vasoconstriction an also is platelets aggregation.
Note that smokers have higher levels of carboxyhemoglobine (coHgb) carbon monoxide (CO) has a much higher affinity for hemoglobin (Hgb) than oxygen (O2). Such a condition can lead to a hypoxic situation with higher levels of lactic acid and intolerance to exercise.
Smokers have higher levels of hematocrit (number of red blood cell are higher because they tend to compensate the lower transport of o2 by Hgb.
They also tend to have more elevated levels of CO2.

-Vasoconstriction = less off gassing and higher risk of DCS
-Platelets aggregation = promoting DCS as platelets aggregation is playing a certain role in the DCS evolution and its critical outcome.
-Higher hematocrit = blood viscosity tends to be higher, this is not promoting proper off gassing because it reduces peripheral blood flow.
-CO2 and lactic acid (when to elevated ) can act as a promoting factor of micronuclei growth into real bubbles.

Fa

I'd say, the most logical explanation, for more cases of DCS in smokers is due to the fact that their lungs do not operate as good as normal lungs, hence the rate of removal of N2 from the blood back to the exhaled air is somewhat reduced, aspecialy in cases of heavy smokers.

Back
Top Bottom