Smith Lake - Vidor (Report and Story)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OUTHOUSE

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So the smith lake "saga" report is as follows:

Got in touch with local dive shop recently and got the name of another local diver. We met at smith lake for our first dive yesterday. Smith lake is very hard to get too, due to lots of road construction. Exit for Vidor is closed if coming from Beaumont.

Vidor is known as a racist "whites only" town. For the record: I am white and I definately got that feeling. People would stop what they were doing just to stare at you as you drove past. I drive a Honda ridgeline (it was like a spacecraft had landed in someones back yard). The lake is surrounded by a trailer park. The inhabitants look like something out of "Deliverance" but with less banjo and more tattoos. Coming from Austin, East Texas has become somewhat of a culture shock.

The lake itself looks like it is a nice small place to dive. You have to go over to this metal sign that says smith lake and put your money in an envelope and put it in a metal sign with a pirate on it (in the process I dodged what might possibly be a young methhead and a small boy playing football).

A local dive class was leaving as we arrived. I met my two new dive partners. Both seemed to be good guys. We were the only divers at the lake. I had trouble this past week with cold/allergies. I was having problems with clearing my ears.

Lake is supposed to have 2 tiers and a few sunken boats. Max depth is 21' with an average of 17'.

After testing the water I put on my gear and headed into the water. The water was a cool 63 degrees. I was thankful I had shelled out the bucks this past week for a hood and gloves. Visibility was around 3'. Had difficulty making out much of anything. Very silty bottom (might possibly have be kicked up due to previous class). I found some lines and followed one set of lines over to the first tier. Not much to see. Then followed another line to the second tier. It was impossible to see your dive partners. I spent 20 miinutes under and surfaced and looked around for my dive partners. We met at the surface and got out of the water.

I proceed to hang up my gear and hose it off. In the process I open the door to my truck and look around. I quickly peeled off my wet bathing shorts and doned a pair of dry shorts (approximate time of 4 seconds total)...

After the change I continue to finish up packing the last of my gear. I see a guy (quite possibly missing some important chromosomes) with a 4 wheeler approaching. Now, I had been previously warned that the guy that runs the park is an a-hole and gives problems to lots of people that dive.

He pulls right up next to me and proceeds to tell me. "My momma looked through her window and saw your ass :mooner: hangin out your truck...you are banned permanently from this lake." I proceed to smile thinking , he can't be serious. I then proceed to apologize stating, "I'm sorry about that, I didnt realize you had any changing rooms." His response was; "no apologies necessary just know that you are permanently banned."

So I finish up packing and walk over to my new recent dive buddies to tell them what had happened.

Low and behold 4 wheeler man is back. This time he says "When I said you were banned, I meant right now. I have already called the sheriff." Not wanting any trouble I say my goodbyes and jump in my truck and ride into the trailer park sunset.

Side Note: My wife (works in the state capital) thinks its funny that after all the important people, the nice restaurants, and social functions we have attended that her husband is banned from a trailer park (sober no less).

:no: Moral of the story is don't show your :mooner: in public.

you can't be serious
I always change at my truck
guess his momma...(better not go there)
anyway thanx for the report ,guess I better take this one off my places to go list

:rofl3:

wow. just wow.

Well, I was thinking about doing some dives there, but no thanks!

:rofl3:

:) Ah the memories. I'm so glad I live in Austin now.

'Nothin' like hitting the back country lakes for a bit of fun is there ?!
What many folks don't seem to understand is that most Banjo players are actually very smart people.
As for me, I don't get caught neckid' Mooning old women so I don't run into much trouble. Even still, I almost always bring my Banjo along to deep woods dive outings and it usually comes in handy. Like I said.... "we're smart people" :crafty:

probably good he didnt drive up when you were actually changing or you might have had to "squeal like a pig"

chance are that it was him momma/wife...weird things happen in the boon docks.

seriously sounds like your bad experience will save many others from wasting there time at that place

brett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom