Smith Lake, AL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove there a couple of times last year.
We were around the coon creek area - it was desent diving, vis was only about 8-10ft.
found an old boat anchor and lots of bottles. I have a friend that has a boat at ryan creek who is also a diver.
I understand vis is better toward the dam.
I plan on diving there more this year - I am always looking for people who have been there and done that, so we can learn from their experience.

The hook up from Phils shop sounds good.
I live in Hartselle.
I also belong to Journey Dive Team.

-SC3 out

Boomer7:
It looks interesting. I would be up for a dive there. How far from Huntsville is it?

It is around 1 hour and 15 minutes maybe a little more depending to what part of the lake you are going to.

Boomer7:
And Howard it looks like you need a shave.

Brian
And a hair cut.

rdharbis1:
I spent my first first 25 years on Smith Lake, regrettably, all of those years was before I was a scuba diver (I can also remember it before it was a lake!). It is very deep in many places, but very clear. My wife and I are planning to dive there this summer. I am going to take my boat to Clear Creek above Jasper and try it when it warms up. You are welcome to come, we may start something new.

i also spent my first many years on the lake over on rock creek. also before i was a diver. i did use a mask quite a bit though. not real clear on that end of the lake i guess. if i ever get back up that way, i'd like to go dive with some of you guys if you want.

dano

Boomer7:
Also rdharbis1 we spoke last year about diving the river. I met somone that dives there during the summer. It also sounds interesting.

Hey Boomer7,
I remember something being said about the river and diving, but never got around to looking into it last summer. I have already been out on the boat more this year than all of last summer. That should be against the law! I hope to do much more diving locally this summer, easy dives, I need the experience.

aowdan:
i also spent my first many years on the lake over on rock creek. also before i was a diver. i did use a mask quite a bit though. not real clear on that end of the lake i guess. if i ever get back up that way, i'd like to go dive with some of you guys if you want.
dano

Where the Rock and Rhine Creeks come into the main body is, or used to be, very clear and really deep. The North side is mostly the big rock face. I have been skiiing and fishing up Rock Creek many times. There was always less boat traffic there until the Cullman side built so many houses up there. There is a point not far up Rock Creek that you can drive to that has really good access for swimming. You can walk in shallow slope for about 15 feet and then it drops off a bluff to, I don't know, way over my head! Wouldn't even need a boat to go there. It used to be so clear up in that area it was hard to fish, you could always see your lure!

Randy/Boomer(Brian).

There is a group out of Phils shop that dives the river once or twice a month. Anyone is welcome to go and they don't charge anything for it.

Call the shop and ask to speak to Jonathon or Brad. They are the ones from the shop that usually goes. It's not a scheduled trip and not listed on their web page. It's usually just 3 to 6 people that get together on saturdays that are open and go dive the river.

They've found some cool stuff. Like really old bottles, wagon wheels, and several sunken cars (that were stolen and sunk).

Well I think we need to set a date to do this. I would like to dive in the area where the bottles were found. But before we do this are there snakes in there???? Any Saturday in may is good. We will need a dive flag if there are boats in the area.

Boomer7:
Well I think we need to set a date to do this. I would like to dive in the area where the bottles were found. But before we do this are there snakes in there???? Any Saturday in may is good. We will need a dive flag if there are boats in the area.

state law (I think) requires you to have a dive flag. but the boaters around here are clueless about them. They've got one on the boat that Dive Sports uses.

If you want to set one up.... during the summer months there are usually threads on the TDT DIVEBOARD about it.

Boomer7:

Nah...No snakes, all the 'gators ate 'em!

Mike,
My bad on this since I missed last month's meeting, but you aren't going to charge me rent for the gloves and stuff are you?

rdharbis1:
Mike,
My bad on this since I missed last month's meeting, but you aren't going to charge me rent for the gloves and stuff are you?

I thought about those Friday and wondered if your hands were cold with this recent episode of cold weather!

I'm not charging them rent... but I am mileage, since they are riding back and forth up and down I-565 every day. I figured I'd make more money on mileage than rent!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom