SMB Too Big?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaverickNH

Contributor
Reaction score
So I picked up an XS Scuba SMB Rescue Kit for some drift diving in FL and Cozumel. It rolls tightly to 7-1/2" long by 3" in diameter, which pretty much fills a wetsuit/drysuit pocket.

Maybe I got one that's too big? I could let it dangle from a bolt-snap, maybe use some elastics to hold it down somewhere...

Very interesting - maybe I can get that Zeagle QD pouch for $25 and use it with my SMB. Can you have a look at yours and see if it would possibly fit a SMB 7-1/2" long and 3" diameter, with a 3" Derlin spool?

I've keep mine attached to a reel and clipped to a d-ring on my hip. I don't really think a DSMB can be too big. Since the idea is to make it easy for your boat to find you and other boats to not run your butt over, it's definetely one time when size does matter...

Mine doubles as a lift bag...

Actually, I wouldn't carry anything smaller, and mine is bigger yet. I use a backplate & put in a pocket clipped to the bottom of it. Put it anywhere that's out of the way, but easily reachable. Other than clipping, another possibility is a glue-on wetsuit pocket. When I had one this small, it had a velcro wrap, and I just added a clip to it, then clipped off down and back on the left side [I'm left-handed]. SMBs and particularly useful when diving in current.

I use one of a similar size. I had a custom velcro strap with a d ring (small 1"0 sewed to the end of the smb. I keep a bolt snap hooked to it and store it in a custom mesh bag with a velcro closure. and then snap it off to a d ring on my harness. But then I live with a seamstress so any custom storage solution is easily available to me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom