SMB recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carbon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
With Christmas just around the corner...

I want to get a very good SMB for emergencies. I have looked on-line at some of them, but it is too difficult to discern the important details (construction quality, ease of use, features, etc). I would appreciate recommendations and/or pointers to prior threads.

Thanks,
Carbon

ShakaZulu:
http://www.scubaboard.com/t67375-.html checkout this thread, I ended up getting the Diverite SMB.

Thanks ShakaZulu,

I tried searching for "SMB", but I don't think the search utility accepts a search field of three letters.

Carbon

I researched this one myself for a while before settling on the Diverite SMB. It is 6' long and 8" wide and orange. It can be inflated orally, using your low pressure hose, or your regulator. It has a special internal valve that prevents it from falling over and losing its air if released from depth on a reel. You can get a sleeve that it rolls up and fits into nicely. Attach the sleeve to the bottom of your bc in the back and you are good to go. Halcyon also makes a similiar smb, but it also includes reflective tape across the top.

I've met divers that have bought very good, very large SMBs, but then leave them on the boat because they are too bulky. If you aren't going to take the full size one on all dives, then a wise additional purchase is one of the small 44" x 4" sausages for those times when you leave the bigger one behind.

michaelp68:
Shaka, how do you like your purchase?
Have you practiced deploying it? How'd it go?

I'm looking to buy the SMB now, too, and am leaning toward the Dive Rite, so I'm interested in your experience with it.

Thanks.

Michael

I dive wet, so the LP house configuration won't work for me. I also wanted to be able to deploy the device from depth (using my regulator) so that I can use it as a depth marker during safety stops at night. I got the DiveRite and it works great. I store it on the bottom of my BC where it clips to the plate. It's too big for a BC pocket, and comes with it's own velcro'd sleeve.

http://www.diverite.com/products/tools/surfmark.htm

This one has the reflective tape, overpressure release valve, and enough lift to hold a diver at depth if so required. It is not a sealed device though.

ShakaZulu:
I dive wet, so the LP house configuration won't work for me. I also wanted to be able to deploy the device from depth (using my regulator) so that I can use it as a depth marker during safety stops at night. I got the DiveRite and it works great. I store it on the bottom of my BC where it clips to the plate. It's too big for a BC pocket, and comes with it's own velcro'd sleeve.

http://www.diverite.com/products/tools/surfmark.htm

This one has the reflective tape, overpressure release valve, and enough lift to hold a diver at depth if so required. It is not a sealed device though.

I think I'll be buying one very shortly. Thank you.

I use the Halcyon CC SMB and Lift Bag. They are both closed circuit, so you'll have to use a LP hose to fill them. This disadvantage is outweighed IMO by the inability for air to escape at the surface, leaving your SMB limped over and harder to notice. They both make great surface identifiers or deco bags. The little sausages are OK for short distances or longer distances only on the smoothest days. Carter IMO makes great open ended SMB's and LB's as well.

ShakaZulu:
I dive wet, so the LP house configuration won't work for me. .
Why not? You'll be neutral, and level or on your way up, so you shouldn't need to add air to your BCD for the remainder of the dive. You should also be able to fill the SMB, then reconnect the LPI hose. And even ignoring these two points, if you still have some sort of problem, you can always orally inflate the BC or wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom