SMB recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think it's a good idea to, as a matter of course, disconnect your only buoyancy device regularly. Too much potential hazard.

Nothing wrong with a semi-closed.

I'm sure the scuba gods will strike me down, but I actually have an extra lp inflator just for this purpose. I don't like disconnecting either. That being said, I'm going to put it on the 13cf drysuit tank.

jonnythan:
I don't think it's a good idea to, as a matter of course, disconnect your only buoyancy device regularly. Too much potential hazard.

Get at least a 6' like the Dive Rite. I use a 6' Abyss - those little "safety sausages" are fine for pools and clipping off speared fish, but they sure don't look like much when you're on the ocean.
AP Hill in the UK makes a really cool self-inflating SMB that you can refill yourself. It can get a little dicey in a current while you're trying to get enough air into a big float and not get all snarled up.
This is something that you're going to want to practice so you look cool when you do it.
Also, on the surface, bending the sausage into a triangle shape makes it easier for the captain to see you, especially if you're upsun from the boat.
Some people use a lift bag, but that can be a little hard to pick up if the seas get choppy.

jonnythan:

Tradeoffs, tradeoffs. Like most things in life, diving is a balancing of various advantages and disadvantages.

I'm not taking disconnecting my BC or wing and taking it off, I'm just temporarily disconnecting ONE of TWO methods of inflating it. I fail to see the hazard.

OTOH, semi-closed bags have been known to get blown over and dump gas.

I have a few of the OMS Items, and they work great. Flame away, but I like OMS products. The 9'7" is really hard to miss. The 5'2" emergency & 9'7" works well for us in training. Easy to deploy in zero vis by feel, with their EDS system. Yes, I know I sound like a commercial. But if it works, it works. JMHO.

The 5'2" OMS SMB is ok - although I think 6' is the mininum to consider - but the 9'7" is like a telephone pole - I dived with a guy who had one, and you could see that one from outer space. It was the yellow one - VERY visible. Get it if you have the money - it rolls up pretty well.
I don't have much OMS stuff, but it's ok. I don't go out of my way to buy it since I get other stuff for way cheaper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom