Small Caution: Break Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

Dives on Sat for drills were really nice, especially dive number two where we headed out for 30ft to work on ascents.

All was going great, situational awareness is in full effect, with viz being no more than 10ft at the bottom.

My buddy finishes some drills, flawless and signals to me, drill frog/kick and backwards kick.

I commence my drill and as I'm doing my backwards kick, I complete it then start to turn left, when all of a sudden I feel my leg stuck.

Immediately I assume, I have collided with my partners leg, but then as I turn I see it's fishing line and the fisherman starts to real in his catch.

I have been caught before at the surface but not at depth and never been pulled. He must have thought I was a big fish because he wouldn't let go, he kept reeling me up.

I fought hard to kick and saw a large kelp next to me, I swam to the kelp and hugged it tightly, as my computer screamed, increased work load! :shakehead:

But, before I had a chance to signal my buddy, thank goodness for situational awareness, my buddy raced over to me in what appeared to be seconds on the minute and literally removed the hook that was imbedded into the suit. :)

I was relieved and luckly the CLX 450 suits hard material, kept the hook from puncturing. :crafty:

But koodos go to all the vigilant buddies that are always there when you need them, and in this case, it was a scary deal for me. :wink:

It was a very sunny day and the sunlight helped occlude the fishing line.

Divers, please be careful with all the fisherman that are there, they sometimes, not always, discard that we are just below the waters were they are casting.

Thanks,

MG

Mike! Yikes! That's probably my one greatest fear of diving near the BW wall. Seems like you got away with the best case scenario, and thankfully no damage to you, let alone your suit.

Wow Mike! Glad to hear your buddy was on top of it and you didn't get hurt.

Mike! Yikes! That's probably my one greatest fear of diving near the BW wall. Seems like you got away with the best case scenario, and thankfully no damage to you, let alone your suit.

Yikes is a perfect word to how I felt as the tugging started! Ken, I am just grateful to my buddy for getting to me very quickly and solving the issue.

Wow Mike! Glad to hear your buddy was on top of it and you didn't get hurt.

Yeah Michelle,

Wow, is how I felt when I felt my buddy unraveling the freakin fish line and pulling the hook out of my thigh!

Glad you're okey... kudo's for not freaking out.

If you dive enough at the Breakwater it's bound to happen but as they don't hook your sensitive parts or use 180 lb test you'll be fine. :)

Now imagine if your buddy would have gotten caught by the hook in their hand :shocked2: Second guessing, but I wonder if cutting it off first might have been the better scenario? Plus the bastard wouldn't have gotten his hook back. Of course then you would have had to dispose of the hook at the end of the dive. Fishing line is next to impossible to see for a reason. Don't blame yourself for getting tangled up in it.

Now imagine if your buddy would have gotten caught by the hook in their hand :shocked2: Second guessing, but I wonder if cutting it off first might have been the better scenario? Plus the bastard wouldn't have gotten his hook back. Of course then you would have had to dispose of the hook at the end of the dive. Fishing line is next to impossible to see for a reason. Don't blame yourself for getting tangled up in it.

Peter,

All I can say, yes you are right, the line is next to impossible to see. I remember seeing it after I was entangled in it.

It glitters like silk from a spiders abdomen. Once your in it, you are trapped. :shakehead:

Once my buddy got me out of it, I took a look at the hook, it was a beautiful lure, it had multiple hooks and it was very large.

I think the fisherman was trying his luck with some really large game and that's why he casted it in deeper waters.

He however, didn't know we were down there as we saw no fishing line.

In this situation it wasn't necessary to cut the line.

The fishing line strength was no match for the mighty MG, the weight of his gear & the force from his fins.

Good job MG for staying calm! Really happy you and your suit are ok!

Back
Top Bottom