SM Take 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How long it the LP hose? It looks a little too long.

Are those swivel 1st stages? If not, you will want to move the long hose to a port on the opposite side.

If you replace the Atomic swivels with a normal hose and swivel, you will need to get the replacement flange nut for the second stages.

How long do you recommend? Are you also recommending a swivel/90 Degree for the 7' hose?

Thanks!

Dwayne

15 inches. I'm referring to the 1st stage. Do the LP ports swivel or are they fixed? If they're fixed, the long hose is in the wrong port.

15 inches. I'm referring to the 1st stage. Do the LP ports swivel or are they fixed? If they're fixed, the long hose is in the wrong port.

The LP Ports do swivel 360...

What is the location of your 1st stage? (inside, or outside)?. What hose routing are you a proponent of??

There is:
1. DSS/SB... Deep-Sea Sherpa How to Route Hoses on Sidemount Tanks
2. Hollis SMS100 configuration (rotated attached picture)...
3. Diverite Mission: http://www.youtube.com/user/diverite84#p/c/92829E26AA50DC03
4. Diverite Mixed: http://www.youtube.com/user/diverite84#p/c/92829E26AA50DC03
5. Diverite Expedition: http://www.youtube.com/user/diverite84#p/c/92829E26AA50DC03

It did not appear any of the DiveRite configs used a 7' hose on the right tank.

Maybe we can make a sticky showing tank configs?

Thanks,
Dwayne

Attachments

• Hollis.jpg
    Hollis.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 109
  • deep sea sherpa.jpg
    deep sea sherpa.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
DwayneJ:
What is the location of your 1st stage? (inside, or outside)?. What hose routing are you a proponent of??

I keep my 1st stages in, but that doesn't mean it's appropriate for everyone. I'm a proponent of the hose routing that works for the type of diving being done and the diver doing it.

There's a saying - put 10 sidemount divers in a room together and you'll see 11 different ways to configure sidemount gear. I have tried almost every configuration there is to see what I like and what I don't like for my diving. However, just because something didn't work for me doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. I teach my students all the various configurations and let them choose. They will often even try some different configurations in class. I also encourage them to experiment once they've accumulated some experience because what works for them initially may not work for them later on as their diving evolves.

Today I collected a 90 Degree swivel for my second stage and a second HP 100 tank. These were the last pieces to the puzzle so all is good - I will jump in the pool tomorrow to validate everything...

I have also attached detailed pictures of the SMS100 harness. Rob posted a good comparison between the Nomad and the SMS100. I wanted to take the time to explain the design of the SMS100 which the attached pictures show in detail.

The SMS100 has more in common with the Z system and the Razor than the Nomad/Transpac...

The SMS100 is made up of two components - the wing and the harness. The harness incorporates the flexible backplate and webbing as one integrated component...

Harness

The shoulder padding is the flexible backplate and extends from the back over the shoulders down to the harness break points.

The shoulder webbing (one for each shoulder) starts on the flexible back plate and extends over the shoulder and down to the D ring/breakpoint then doubles back up the shoulder. The first layer is stitched to the harness padding.

The waistband and lower webbing for shoulder straps both attach to the back of the flexible back plate. Routing is very similar to Z/Razor where the end of the shoulder strap and waist band come together at the same spot in the small of your back and is secured to the back of the flexible backplate via heavy stitching.

Wing

The wing attaches to the harness via two bolts in the middle of your back. Certainly the wing can be removed from the harness and bolted to a standard BP.

For the SMS100 harness, there is a velcro back pad which attaches to the wing and covers up the bolt attachments. Two small tabs on each side of the lower wing thread to the waist belt to stop the wing from taco'ing.

Modifications

Anyone with an industrial sewing machine can do anything with the SMS100 harness. Likewise, the wing can be installed on other harnesses or BP's. My dad's business was car/truck/boat interiors and he has all the tools for me to produce a flexible backplate. Once I am comfortable with the SMS100, I will likely make my own flexible BP for the SMS100 Wing to fit a Steel/Al BP fitted with a continuous webbing harness... because I can.

Overall, the build of the Hollis SMS100 is good.

Attachments

• 01 Outside.jpg
    01 Outside.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 02 Inside.jpg
    02 Inside.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 03 Strap Top.jpg
    03 Strap Top.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 04 Strap Bottom.jpg
    04 Strap Bottom.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 05 Strap Routing 1.jpg
    05 Strap Routing 1.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 06 Strap Routing 2.jpg
    06 Strap Routing 2.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 07 Strap BP Attachment.jpg
    07 Strap BP Attachment.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 08 Waist Belt Wing Attachment.jpg
    08 Waist Belt Wing Attachment.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 09 Regs.jpg
    09 Regs.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Pool today was interesting. Only a small pool (7' deep) so I'm like a goldfish in a bowl. Wife stole our underwater camera for her xmas vacation so a friend took video with my iPhone.

I'll do the Jax underwater camera next time with my buddies camera...

So... Thanks Jax for the encouragement...

* No weight on but 12lbs should do it next time around.
* Steel HP 100's.
* Fusion Drysuit
* Forgot my contacts. Just a little blind and a note to self to put a set of lenses in my "save a dive" box.
* Need to pack my snorkel away. I do want it for those open water swims but just not on my head.

1. Need to rotate my cambands 25 Degrees to improve valve angle.
2. Need to move backplate mounts higher up plate.
3. Bungy (2) too short/tight - I will change to a continuous bungy and add some length.
4. Need 1/2"-1" extra length on the lower clips.
5. Inflator hose routing was not correct. I need to think about that one.

Initial thoughts were "lots of clutter" and this I believe is in part to the fact I don't dive with a necklace or with a long hose often, as well as the angle of my tank valves. Overall the bungy issue had me with the tanks "up close and personal" but overall not too shabby for my first attempt. Dive instructor buddy watching from the side was impressed with the profile with the doubles. Certainly there are two aspects to Side Mount - Sorting out your gear configuration followed by skills in the water such as reg swaps/clipping off the primary reg etc. I do like the harness - It fits me well... More to come as I work on my gear configuration.

I do need the pool to sort through the details as I don't want to be dealing with configuration and familiarity issues while also looking out for my dive buddies.

One interesting observation... I can now hear my first stage... Just never noticed before.

Dwayne

Last edited:
Pool today was interesting. Only a small pool (7' deep) so I'm like a goldfish in a bowl. Wife stole our underwater camera so a friend took video with my iPhone.

I'll do the Jax underwater camera next time with my buddies camera...

Fixed that for you!

Hey! You can't just post this and leave!!!!

How did it feel? How did you like it?!?!? Tell! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom