SLR lenses help plz!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

little confusion is the Nikon 60mmf/2.8 Micro is the same lense but some people call it 60mm Macro????!!!

aboalreem:
little confusion is the Nikon 60mmf/2.8 Micro is the same lense but some people call it 60mm Macro????!!!
Have you seen any other lens? You should really look at the nikon website - it gives listings of all of their lenses

http://www.nikonusa.com

To answer your subsequent question... Nikon calls it "micro"

I have seen the other lens...I just got confused when photographers call the same micro lens a macro!!!!I just wonder why?

aboalreem:
I have seen the other lens...I just got confused when photographers call the same micro lens a macro!!!!I just wonder why?
Have you seen any other 60mm lens made by Nikon? There is only 1.

Do you know what macro photography is?

It's all in the history.

Other manufacturers will give their lenses a macro designation, which may be where the confusion arises.

I'm not trying to not answer your questions either. But you should really learn about this camera on your own, probably by reading a little bit about SLR cameras, and lenses. You are asking very basic questions, and you're investing a few thousand dollars into a camera setup. I've been following this thread, and I saw your other one too. It's clear that you should really learn more on your own.

Here's a link to the user's manual from the D200 - http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D200_en_noprint.pdf

You should seriously read it. It explains a lot, and I think you'll find the answers to a lot of you questions here. Good luck.

howarde:
I'm not trying to not answer your questions either. But you should really learn about this camera on your own, probably by reading a little bit about SLR cameras, and lenses. You are asking very basic questions, and you're investing a few thousand dollars into a camera setup. I've been following this thread, and I saw your other one too. It's clear that you should really learn more on your own.

Here's a link to the user's manual from the D200 - http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D200_en_noprint.pdf

You should seriously read it. It explains a lot, and I think you'll find the answers to a lot of you questions here. Good luck.

Howarde,
thanks for the feedback that you have given....I am acutally reading the manual and got a couple SLR books while waiting for the camera. most of my questions were about lenses since I need to make sure I am getting the right ones that UW photographers recommended.....details......details......since I only have 4 days left to get everything ...that is why I am asking people on scubaboard....details.
it seems most of the responses were given by choice and joy of sharing,,,,which I do the same too......
sorry to bother you with my basic questions...

aboalreem:
Howarde,
thanks for the feedback that you have given....I am acutally reading the manual and got a couple SLR books while waiting for the camera. most of my questions were about lenses since I need to make sure I am getting the right ones that UW photographers recommended.....details......details......since I only have 4 days left to get everything ...that is why I am asking people on scubaboard....details.
it seems most of the responses were given by choice and joy of sharing,,,,which I do the same too......
sorry to bother you with my basic questions...

It's not a bother, but I would feel as though you're doing yourself a dis-service to not learn on your own, and just ask a bunch of people on ScubaBoard what you should do.

Everyone here (including myself) has been happy to help you.

It would just be a shame if you ran out and got all of this stuff, based solely on what other people are telling you to do. If you really understood the lenses and their capabilities, you'd be able to make some of these decisions on your own. That's all I'm saying.

BTW - For another good reference source for information on the D200 - with demonstrations, check out this http://www.quickproguides.com/ - I think you can get their videos at camera stores. My buddy who sells Nikons loaned me the DVD for the D200, and it was informative - and showed some finer points of the camera, like manual white balance, and how to do several pre-sets of your own manual WB. Also the exposure braketing modes, and lots of other cool stuff that the D200 has.

As for the lenses... People have their preferences. Some people prefer to only shoot wide angle, and they get wide angle lenses. Some people only prefer to shoot macro, and that's what they get. Nobody recommened the lens I got for my UW photography. Nobody ever does recommend it. But I love it. Just make sure that whatever lens you choose for UW photography, that the manufacturer of your housing makes a port for it :wink:

Also - let me say that I'm not trying to dis you, but rather - I'm making sure that you really get a grasp of what your in for, and not end up having to buy 5 or 6 lenses until you find one that you're happy with. I am genuinely concerned, not trying to poke fun at you, or flame you. Sometimes, it doesn't sound right in type. :wink:

howarde:
It's not a bother, but I would feel as though you're doing yourself a dis-service to not learn on your own, and just ask a bunch of people on ScubaBoard what you should do.

Everyone here (including myself) has been happy to help you.

It would just be a shame if you ran out and got all of this stuff, based solely on what other people are telling you to do. If you really understood the lenses and their capabilities, you'd be able to make some of these decisions on your own. That's all I'm saying.

BTW - For another good reference source for information on the D200 - with demonstrations, check out this http://www.quickproguides.com/ - I think you can get their videos at camera stores. My buddy who sells Nikons loaned me the DVD for the D200, and it was informative - and showed some finer points of the camera, like manual white balance, and how to do several pre-sets of your own manual WB. Also the exposure braketing modes, and lots of other cool stuff that the D200 has.

thanks howarde.....i will get the DVD.....basically I am leaving to the Middle of no where overseas...so I am getting everything I need from the Camera to lenses to books, so I can spend the next 3 month on my own with the camera and manuals to get a full understanding,,then come back and do UW shots after mastering the camera....

Back
Top Bottom