SLR lenses help plz!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just want to practice different photos of different things...so I can get used to SLR photography then I will go UW...so I am looking to take pictures of macro and micro small and big!
Did I make it too hard!!!

aboalreem:
The deal I am looking at comes with 18-70mm.....is it good for general topside photos...I am trying to take pictures of landscape pictures..like sunsets....ets
Sure - it's a good lens... and it can go into a housing. People will tell you you're crazy to use a zoom underwater. They've told me that, but I know I'm crazy.

crazy....!! why...?

Hmmm. I'm not sure. I use a zoom for WA all the time.

aboalreem:
crazy....!! why...?
A lot of photogs have said not to use the lens I am using for UW. I think it's great.

I took this wide angle shot yesterday at 17mm

mooner.jpg

and this at 70mm
christmastreeworm.jpg

People had cautioned me. Perhaps they're "purists" - I am no expert, and purely self taught. I did used to sell cameras years ago, but that was in the days before digital... Personally, I've had a blast with my D200. It's the first digital camera I really enjoy.

In my vision (I use both zooms and fixed UW), there is a difference.
It just seems like you sacrifice some of the final touches of a great photo for some zoom flexibility...
Like, I look at the 1st pic and wonder what I or you would-could have done with a 10.5mm in such a rich enviroment. And even as the macro is much better than the WA, I also feel sad that you didn't have the capability of one 105mm or even a 60mm (though this one would have more problaility of frightening it).
But of course, is a little like on land. You can portrait the same thing with different lenses... The wreck I add last page, I have a plan of diving it with a 18-35 or my 24-85 to register the stuff she has inside, details of the living organisms on the hull etc.

Which lense should I get with the D200 body.......Just want to practice topside for 3 month and then underwater....if you have to pick one or two lense what would they be?

The only problem with the 18-70 that comes with the "kit" is that it won't focus as fast as a lens that goes to F2.8. The 18-70 goes to F3.5.

Personally I bought my body and lenses seperately. It costs about the same really. If you're going to use the lens underwater, you probably want at least an F2.8 lens, since it opens all the way to focus - the 2.8's will focus faster.

Will you still be able to use the 18-70 underwater... yes you will... You'll probably have fun with it and get good pictures.

You're only going to shoot topside for 3 months?

You should really understand more about what the focal lengths are all about, and make an educated decision... Don't just rush into this, or buy what some people tell you.

I meant I will not shoot underwater unless I master the camera and how to use it and that would take 3 month of topside photos...
I will get the lenses seperatly....But I am still confused to which one should I get to use first for topside....should I get a lense I can also use underwater or just for topside for now.....and which one

I would get a lens like the 12 - 24mm that you can use both topside and U/W. For macro I would get the 105mm. I'm new to U/W photography too but I have the roughly equivalent Canon lenses. Unless of course you have lots of bucks, then I would go for more prime lenses.

I started shooting U/W without being more than a tourist shoot guy up top. I didn't even know how to set up the housing when I went on my first trip. I took some lessons which helped immensely.

Love the CTW howarde.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom