Slow Opening O2 valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zebra 1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
We're looking for some slow opening oxygen valves for our bottles. We bought the slow opening valves from DGX but in my opinion they still open too fast at first (when compared to say a standard CGA valve). I know that Hollis also has slow opening valves, any feedback?

May I ask why? I am not trying to be sarcastic, but you can do just fine with regular valves.

AP has slow opening in-line valves:

I believe @rsingler on here was selling those valves, in addition to AP diving in Europe and Silent Diving in the US.

I can recommend the AP O2 valves for their slow opening ability. Stay away from the Nautec valves imho.

May I ask why? I am not trying to be sarcastic, ...

Oxygen fire safety. The objective is to minimize high velocity gas flows that can pick up particles, typically metallic particles, and accelerate them to speeds that heat them cherry red. Secondarily, it is to minimize heat buildup due to rapid compression.

High pressure Oxygen's unique properties can cause materials that are normally incombustible to oxidize at very high rates, which is what a fire or explosion is.

AP has slow opening in-line valves:

I believe @rsingler on here was selling those valves, in addition to AP diving in Europe and Silent Diving in the US.
Yes, I have the AP valves available, along with their service kits. I use them on my JJ-CCR. DM me if you're interested. But the US still hasn't caught up to the parity with the Euro. They're about double the price in that European ad after importation.

Would you care to elaborate ? I'm just curious.
Brand new Nautec valve failed the go/no go thread test when being installed by my local dive shop. It’s replacement immediately malfunctioned after installation due to a badly scored seat, i.e. I would turn off the O2, purge the line via the MAV and the O2 would just climb back up to 220 bar even thought the pillar valve had been turned off. I dismantled the pillar valve and found the seat badly scored, like someone had gauges a horizontal line about 1mm deep across its face, which explained why it was unable to seal. Customer service from Nautec was mediocre when compared to Shearwater or OThree etc.

Brand new Nautec valve failed the go/no go thread test when being installed by my local dive shop. It’s replacement immediately malfunctioned after installation due to a badly scored seat, i.e. I would turn off the O2, purge the line via the MAV and the O2 would just climb back up to 220 bar even thought the pillar valve had been turned off. I dismantled the pillar valve and found the seat badly scored, like someone had gauges a horizontal line about 1mm deep across its face, which explained why it was unable to seal. Customer service from Nautec was mediocre when compared to Shearwater or OThree etc.
Thank you for the info. My experience with Nautec is so far limited to the valved coming with my Triton, no complain.

Concerning my experience with valves manufacturers customers service, I can't say I'm impressed. The occurrence : while trying to fit a brand new valve I discover it won't fit as the chrome coating is way too thick. Brought it back to the LDS for exchange, no sweat there. But the LDS wasn't so lucky with the manufacturer who answered : as the valve is produced according to ISO standards what you say is impossible... Nice...

Back
Top Bottom