Slingshot durability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Slingshots are definitely shorter than a lot of huge free diving fins, but they aren't exactly small for traveling. Mine are 26 1/2 inches long and cannot be put in a carry on bag. They barely fit in my regular suit case. I make a habbit of bringing my bc, regulator, mask and snorkel along with a change of clothes and swim trunks in my carry on in case the damn airlines lose my checked bags again. I wish I could also bring my fins, but the length limit of carry ons for most airlines is 22 inches. Even with the hastle of going through security & customs and having them open my bag every single time because of the regulator, it's still worth the peace of mind. :wink:

Yeah, I didn't mean to say they are small, just smaller then those fins my buddies use. And while I haven't had the opportunity to fly with them, I didn't think they were that much bigger then my responses, and I can get those into a carry on :) my last trip with the fins was a cruise, and I can drive to the terminal :)

Yeah, I didn't mean to say they are small, just smaller then those fins my buddies use. And while I haven't had the opportunity to fly with them, I didn't think they were that much bigger then my responses, and I can get those into a carry on :) my last trip with the fins was a cruise, and I can drive to the terminal :)

I've flown with mine twice. One return trip I went ahead and put them in my carry on and nothing was said. If you decide to test them on a crowded flight and security has you try and fit your carry on into one of those 22" long test boxes, you'll end up having to check the bag and pay the $50 for a second checked bag on international flights! :shocked2:

I agree they are a bit larger then the usual diving fin but I have never really had a problem with them getting lost. Unless im over the water I have found shipping them to the destination even with expedited pricing with the rest of my precious gear is still cheaper then paying 50 dollars and having to lug them around the terminal. Kind of nice to let the UPS man do all the work.

When you have to pay for air shipping though it does get expensive and this is where I worry about loosing things. Airlines nickle and dime you to death then loose something and act like they have no obligation to get it right. I found continental to be the disaster of airlines as they always loosed luggage never get you on time where you need to be and the customer service leaves much to be desired.

But for the question asked. I really dont care if I keep up with the group but its nice to be able too. If they out run me oh well they can wait on me or meet me at the surface. Im not waisting all my gas on just trying to keep up :)

Certain types of diving do require speed. I dive primarily with spear fishermen, they swim like a bat out of hell. I wanted to find a fin that let me keep up with them, and was small enough to travel with. (Most of my dive buddies have switched over to super long free diving fins.)

The slingshots where them. On medium I can keep up just fine, and when I am not diving a sprint the lightest setting works great for an easy kick. And while I only have about 20 dives on these fins, they have been great to me, and are my favorite fin I have tried. My previous fins where the Genesis response, a somewhat hybrid between a split and a paddle with a soft web in the center, it was a huge difference.

I would give my slingshots 2 thumbs up :)

Okay, I'll make exceptions for those who have to feed their families or defend their country. :D That's probably a small minority though.

Fin choice(s) is/are subjective matter. I have yet tried the Slingshots but they certainly got some real interests from the divers at the latest dive show here.

Well, since I hooked up with my Jets, I have yet tried and any other babes that came close.

Again, subjective matter. :)

Okay, I'll make exceptions for those who have to feed their families or defend their country. :D That's probably a small minority though.

Don't fotget those of us with a camera! Some of those sharks are hard to keep up with!:wink:

Fin choice(s) is/are subjective matter. I have yet tried the Slingshots but they certainly got some real interests from the divers at the latest dive show here.

Yeah, mine got a lot of comments from the dive masters on my trips so far this year.

I have used mine an am happy with them - but on my last dive I came back and was missing part of one of the bands - it snapped in the middle :( I have a feeling it must have gotten a nick in the silicon and eventually ripped/snapped ?
I have them on order with my LDS hoping to seem them this last week but they're not in yet - where did you guys order your extra power bands ? I'd like to have some extras.
Thanks,
Andy

I've abused mine quite a bit this year with no problems at all. I'd also like to know where I can order a couple spare bands just in case?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom