Slingshot durability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The class that I was gonna be able to try them in has been rained/cold weathered out :depressed:
I needed to get some fins before I go on vacation in a few weeks, so I went ahead and got the Mares(cheaper, great reputation and I already have experience with em). I'm still curious about the slingshots and will keep an eye on them as they develop more of a reputation, but for now they'll have to stay on the wish list.

Thanks for all the info, see ya in the water.
Eric

They are supposed to give you that little extra amount of thrust

While I have no doubt that you can feel when the bands pull the fin back, there is no extra mount of thrust. You are feeling normal thrust delayed.

One of the basic laws is still to this day conservation of energy (despite fin maker claims to the contrary).

The law of conservation of energy states that the total amount of energy in an isolated system remains constant. A consequence of this law is that energy cannot be created or destroyed.
Conservation of energy

I tried the slingshots and I thought the bounciness of them was annoying. I also don't like the heavy side to side drag they create when sculling the fins. I think they are more of a gimmick than a real performance fin. Just my .02...

I just got back from trying my new slingshots out in the keys. They did feel a little weird at first and I found that I preferred them on setting number 3. I've heard several people say they didn't like them for frog kicking but after a while I got use to it and they worked fine for that. Same with surface swimming. It just took a little getting use to. Over all I like them. I was way overdue to replace my aging blades and these will definitely do the job. :wink:

The Slingshots are very comfortable, very efficient in all types of diving from quarry to tropics, calm waters to the rip roaring currents of Cocos.

I have probably about 170 dives on my Slingshots and absolutely no problems with any element of construction. Including durability.

In fact, Aqualung currently has a contest to promote the use of their Slingshot fins. Instructors send in photos and videos. People vote on their favorites. The grand prize winner gets a trip to Italy.

Please vote for me, Nancy B. And you can vote every day. It just takes a minute. And then send the link to your friends. Thank you.

Pro Unlimited

The Slingshots are very comfortable, very efficient in all types of diving from quarry to tropics, calm waters to the rip roaring currents of Cocos.

I have probably about 170 dives on my Slingshots and absolutely no problems with any element of construction. Including durability.

In fact, Aqualung currently has a contest to promote the use of their Slingshot fins. Instructors send in photos and videos. People vote on their favorites. The grand prize winner gets a trip to Italy.

Please vote for me, Nancy B. And you can vote every day. It just takes a minute. And then send the link to your friends. Thank you.

Pro Unlimited

I'll vote everyday for ya, if I can come along:wink:

I cant say enough good about the fins. They do give quiet a power boost as I can at least keep up with the group now with little effort.

They are well worth the investment!

I cant say enough good about the fins. They do give quiet a power boost as I can at least keep up with the group now with little effort.

But why would you want to? I always find it amusing when people tell me how fast you can go with XYZ brand fins.

I've logged quite a few dives already this year with my Slingshots and I'm comfortable that they'll hold up just fine. After initially feeling a little strange, I'm totally use to them and I find that even after long dives, I have no ankle fatigue at all. I retired a set of Aqualung Blades when I got them. I'd been diving with the Blades for ten years. My slingshots have the exact same dimensions as my old blades but are much more efficient.

But why would you want to? I always find it amusing when people tell me how fast you can go with XYZ brand fins.

Certain types of diving do require speed. I dive primarily with spear fishermen, they swim like a bat out of hell. I wanted to find a fin that let me keep up with them, and was small enough to travel with. (Most of my dive buddies have switched over to super long free diving fins.)

The slingshots where them. On medium I can keep up just fine, and when I am not diving a sprint the lightest setting works great for an easy kick. And while I only have about 20 dives on these fins, they have been great to me, and are my favorite fin I have tried. My previous fins where the Genesis response, a somewhat hybrid between a split and a paddle with a soft web in the center, it was a huge difference.

I would give my slingshots 2 thumbs up :)

Back
Top Bottom