sleeping in hammocks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I think I might try sleeping in a hammock at college, so I can use the bed as something else (giant couch?). I made a simple hammock the other day out of a denim fabric, about 44" wide, 7 feet 8 inches long. Seemed sort of comfy but I didn't trust my knots or the crappy rope I hung it with, so I haven't spent much time in it. I hear good things about them though. And it would save a ton of space! :) Thoughts?

Hammocks are the way forward !! I hang mine with climbing strops/slings and carabiners - quick and easy !! If you go for rope, try a bowline - it's a knot that should never slip !!

For sleeping all the time you might do best if you can sleep brazilian hammock style, wide hammock that hangs low in the center and you lay diagonally. So you wind up lying more flat instead of curved. But if you're keeping the bed anyway not sure what a hammock buys you spacewise? You could always treat the bed as a daybed, like throw cushions along the back.

Dorm won't let me just toss out their bed, unfortunately. :(

Depending on how it looks when Ig et there, I might use the bed as a daybed, and if someone stays over, they could use it. I also could raise it up much higher, as the support won't need to support much weight, and put more stuff underneath (college prohibits lofts. :( )

Pretty much I just thought it'd be nifty.

And it's close to a brazilian style hammock, but smaller, Ithink. It's fabric, not rope, and designed so you can lay on the diagonal for sleeping. I almost fell asleep in it last night when I hung it for a test run! Then a rope slipped and I jumped out of that thing faster than........uh....a sheep runs from Andy? (Conch's joke).

At college, I need some way to support it. I was thinking two 4x4 posts, with a 2x4 seperating them, at the top, at ceiling height (to keep things off of ground) At the base, I'll have 4 feet of 2x4 or 4x4, to keep it from falling over. I was thinking of using chain to run through the loop, because it would be easy to hook over a hook in the 4x4's. When I wake up, I slip off one end and whammo I have a room again! :)

The room is 8x12, and the hammock is 8 feet long, so it'll have to be put longways. I'll have to build it when I get down there probably.

too bad they don't allow lofts. My school's only rule was you had to put things back the way they were when you vacated the place, and I think anything had to be free standing (not wreck the walls.) People built lofts that were real masterpieces, just used the mattress and stored the bed frame. (Since it was mostly an engineering school, so it would just have been too weird for them to tell people not to build stuff. And people could generally be trusted to build stuff that didn't collapse!)

Many years ago, given a choice between a jungle hammock or the ground, I usually found the ground to be more comfortable. They are great for a nap but uncomfortable for a bed.

Hammocks are great unless you find yourself in a position of wanting to share it, if you take my meaning. You may find there are unintended consequences if you choose not to have a bed. They're great for a nap outdoors, or for racking out on a boat, but I think you can find better ways to save space indoors.

Well, I'm a Christian that wouldn't have premarital sex just for the practical implications, and [sarcasm] I am so popular with the ladies that I ended up taking a mannequin to prom as ajoke. [/sarcasm]

MSilvia:
Hammocks are great unless you find yourself in a position of wanting to share it, if you take my meaning.

You mean 2 person hammocks are really just for one fat person?:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom