Sleep apnea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamountaingirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
never mind, most of my questions were answered in the post previous to this.. i am just hoping that oxygen at night will not affect me or if i have to adjust for that in my dive...

My doctor knows NOTHING about diving so telling me to ask him is pointless..

wendy

What oxygen? CLAPs just blow regular old roomair into your nose &/or mouth.

Posted via Mobile Device

first they said they wanted to start me on oxygen, then move me to the "machine"???

A young person can have obstructive sleep apnea, often cause by some structural issue with their back throat, i.e., pharynx, that is not an issue when the patient is awake. If the issue is fixed with CPAP, nose clips, etc., the issue is over. Other tests if needed, PFTs, oximetry etc., are typically normal unless there is another issue present such as those mentioned below.

However, if OSA is associated with other diseases, those 'other' diseases such as COPD, hypertension or heart disease, those issues should be evaluated separately as part of fitness for diving evaluation.

Central sleep apnea, or other such issues, are a different story too but are much rarer.

thanks I am pretty sure i have the typical kind. my BP is fine and the typical high colesterol that runs in my family is all my heart has....

if i can get used to sleeping with stuff in and on my face i might be less tired....LOL

thanks
w

thanks I am pretty sure i have the typical kind. my BP is fine and the typical high colesterol that runs in my family is all my heart has....

if i can get used to sleeping with stuff in and on my face i might be less tired....LOL

thanks
w

If the cause can be found, surgery may provide a solution, e.g. an uvulectomy or even a tonsillectomy, without 'stuff ' afterwards.

Ask your PCP about it and good luck. An ENT often does such surgeries.

geeez I liked my response better Wendy :wink:

LB i gotta say, that surgery is a last last last resort....after having my foot operated on in dec., I am still not able to put on a real shoe. no thanks.

i will suffer the humiliating mask and be tethered to my bed...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom