Question Sleep Apnea Mask Causing Dive Mask Flooding?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’m a diver who has sleep apnea. I’ve worn a “full-face” sleep mask for more than a decade during the night. This has led to the formation of a deep inverted “V” shaped groove on either side of my nose. The problem: My Scuba diving mask leaks buckets! I’ve tried various dive masks and they all leak. Can anyone suggest a solution?

I’m a diver who has sleep apnea. I’ve worn a “full-face” sleep mask for more than a decade during the night. This has led to the formation of a deep inverted “V” shaped groove on either side of my nose. The problem: My Scuba diving mask leaks buckets! I’ve tried various dive masks and they all leak. Can anyone suggest a solution?
3mm neoprene under-hood - something that looks like https://opensea.ru/images/catalog/2200001043.jpg
Put your mask over smooth neoprene. Tighten strap.
2200001043.jpg

I've worn a ResMed F-20 full face mask for almost that long.

I have no issues getting my Mares to seal.

I also use a nasal pillow mask with no problems. I do understand that not everyone can use this style but my doctor is constantly asking if I want to try a different mask. You might start there. Possibly try a different dive mask. Mine is a Cressi with a seal right tight to my nose. My wife has helpfully suggested I get botox or filler. Not for a mask leak, just because I am old.

A big "Thank you!" to those who offered suggestions to my flooding dive mask problem. Your helpful comments are very much appreciated!!!

Which mask are you using? I have tried many mask and settled on the Resmed F20 Airtouch Foam and love it. I was concerned about trying it with the reviews saying the foam didn't last long but that hasn't been a problem for me. I do keep a spare handy in case there is an issue but so far, the mask has been great for me.

I also use a nasal pillow mask with no problems. I do understand that not everyone can use this style but my doctor is constantly asking if I want to try a different mask. You might start there. Possibly try a different dive mask. Mine is a Cressi with a seal right tight to my nose. My wife has helpfully suggested I get botox or filler. Not for a mask leak, just because I am old.
Huh.

Mine suggests that my nose is plenty big enough already.

If your mask fits so tight that it has left perment markings on your face, you may want to try a different style of mask. There are a lot of new style units with a very nice silicone seal that don't really require any pressure.
I have lines every morning when I wake up, but they are gone within an hour of starting my day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom