Sleaze in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

speak no evil/see no evil/hear no evil has been standard operating procedure here for a LONG time...and woe to anyone who dares criticize the party line!
What are you talking about? Has someone visited you threatening to break your kneecaps? I have been participating in this forum for a very long time and to my observation there has been a free exchange of ideas and opinions as long as the discourse is civil. People may disagree with you (and with me as well), but how does that translate to "woe" unto anyone?

Weird how people read the post differently.

I took the post to say his OP Aldora started much like those others. I didn't read as insulting to those named. Perhaps saying right after mentioning the crud flying around SM and OD is no unusual was not the best choice as it lead into the other, but really I didn't take is as anything negative. I read it to say most OP start from people who are experienced in Coz and for a reason go out on their own. Then he said time will tell who survives which doesn't seem to be controversial.

I feel the same way about Dave's original post. I think all the Facebook postings got some people emotional and then they came to this thread. What we know from the postings may be a small part of the drama being played out in Cozumel over this but I'm not there so I don't know.

Dave,

We have not met and and actually after reading this I do not want to. I have been diving here for around 11 yrs with several shops and for you to name specific shops is either jealousy or you are just antagonistic. There are many ops on the island, some small, some not and each offers to their divers what they want. If they stay in business it is because their business model works for their groups. No one asked nor cares whether you like it or. It. If they do not survive it is because the model did not work. If they leave an op to form their own, more power to them - they will sink or swim on their merits. If your issues are with the supposed Scuba Mau/Opals Dream saga then please either be more direct in your posts or keep it to your self. All it did was stir the pot.

Rants like your initial post are inappropriate.

There has been too much attention paid to recent problems with Scuba Mau and his former wife's operation in Cozumel. Many of you, fans of of them, and other shops have no idea of the daily sleaze that goes on every day here in Cozumel. The back stabbing, the client stealing, and the vicious rumors abound an they have for many years. It is not just Scuba MauFace it, the relationship most of you make is with the DM who takes you out. He, or she is glib, and bluntly most likely working on tips. They make take you out to dinner, you pay of course, and if they are really good they get a gringo to buy them a boat, or set up a web page so that they can become a Cozumel "dive shop". That is how Scuba Mau left Dive Paradise and started their thing, and indeed how Aldora Divers was formed from the discards of Scuba Du in 1992.Every week there are now OPs formed this way, Dive CHoice Mexico, Dive Cooperative, etc, and they may or may not survive the reality of running a full service dive operation in Cozumel. Of course they predicted in 1992 that there was no way that Aldora Divers would make it by charging more.Dave DillehayAldora Divers
I still can't understand why people are pissed off about this. I must be missing something?

I still can't understand why people are pissed off about this. I must be missing something?
It's all how you read it, or what you read into it. Bad thing about the written word - and especially on the internet - you lose the nuances that sound and facial expression can convey, so it's easy to misunderstand someone's intent (good or bad.)

Seems opinions are split as to Dave's intent with his post. I didn't read it as a negative post, more of a statement that everyone is focusing on one specific dive shop's drama, when in reality these type issues have happened with numerous dive ops. But that's just my perspective on what I read. Don't know Dave personally, but over the years, everything I've read of his has usually been non-offensive and non-confrontational. Didn't make sense to me that he would suddenly go off the deep end and start posting smack. Don't think he'd put Aldora's business at risk. But again, that's just my opinion (and I could be wrong!)

Agreed, I think the ones taking offense to it are the main Scuba Mau/Opal Kool-Aid drinkers......Dave seems to just be venting some reality to the masses and some people don't like to hear it. How dare he say that my favorite dive shop formed by breaking off from another dive shop and was funded by a well meaning client!

SAY IT AINT SO!

:popcorn:

We must be missing something because I don't understand the backlash against Dave's post either.

Chalk me up as another who doesn't get the hoopla over the OP. I took the initial post as his way of saying calm down about all the drama, as this kind of thing goes on all the time. He even singled out his own shop to say it started the same as most others. I saw his highlighting of DiveChoiceMexico and others as simply picking some of the newer ops as places that have started recently and probably share a similar background. I don't really see the negative to his post other than maybe some would prefer folks to remain blissfully unaware that this kind of drama is common in any set of competing small businesses, even in paradise.

FWIW, I have never been diving with Aldora, Mau, Opal, or any of the ops mentioned...

Agreed, I think the ones taking offense to it are the main Scuba Mau/Opal Kool-Aid drinkers......Dave seems to just be venting some reality to the masses and some people don't like to hear it. How dare he say that my favorite dive shop formed by breaking off from another dive shop and was funded by a well meaning client!

SAY IT AINT SO!

:popcorn:

Kool-Aid drinkers?? What do you mean? I do not dive with them so I do not known what you are referring to.

speak no evil/see no evil/hear no evil has been standard operating procedure here for a LONG time...and woe to anyone who dares criticize the party line!
As an "outsider" here, I have to say this appears to be a spot-on statement.

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom