Slaughtered Hammerhead left on Jupiter, FL Dock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I don't think I am following the issue....From my perspective, the "recreational fisherman" and Sport Fish market, are both forms of recreation--and in this recreation, the hunt or the chase, is a bigger part of the equation by far than the killing and taking of a fish.....For the health of our fisheries, now at a fraction of the size they would have been at in the 30's and 40's, it would seem to be a "good thing" to me, that fisherman would be willing to catch a fish using heavier gear, to limit the length of the fight, and to improve the probability of the fish surviving to be "enjoyed many more times like this.....Afterall, this sport of Fishing is closer to what you guys do than it is to what divers do, so I would have thought you would have seen this as a better development--as well as leaving more fish stock for commercial take. If 80% of the recreational catch of key species were released and to survive , it would seem to be very positive ....
So where am I getting your side incorrectly?

Where did you get the idea I'm a 'sports' fisherman? I take pictures of fish, and that's all I do ...

And to answer your question: You catch a fish for food, not to play with it ... So in short, regulation of commercial and 'recreational' fishing, yes ... 'Catch and release'? No, in my view not an acceptable compromise. Sometimes, we have to give up things we love ...

What gets me about this is how sick of a human being it takes to do something like that. I'd be worried about my kids anywhere in the vicinity of such a sick basturd. That's someone who has no regard for anyone. What if a group of kids had come in and seen that? And if alcohol led to that, I'd say the guy has a drinking problem and asking the cops to keep an eye on him anytime he's behind the wheel would be doing a public service.

The Boston marathon bombing was sick and evil. A fish head on a dock, not even in the same category. This is a prank that high schoolers play on each other. Maybe they were drunk high schoolers, but that still doesn't make them sick. Your priorities have to be pretty misaligned to think leaving a fish head on a dock means that a deranged maniac is prowling after your kids.

I'm not sure what a basturd is. Is it some kind of fish dropping?

John, as you know my thing is pushing Palm Beach, so I have no interest in getting divers interested in diving the Bahamas....On the other hand, I feel it necessary to explain that each Island can be very different....I did quite a bit of diving off of West End, and this was a very lush place, with a lot of marine life and corals. Nothing like what you describe....Just goes to show how important the actual dive site itself is, over just a destination name or an Island name.

But my point remains.

The idea that "The Bahamas" is a great place to see sharks is simply wrong. Maybe there are "individual dive sites" in the Bahamas that are great places to see sharks, but "individual dive sites" within the Bahamas is not the same as the Bahamas in general. I suspect that it was once true. I suspect that the site place where I dived used to have sharks, but it sure doesn't have them now. I have no interest in going back to where I was before--nothing to see there. If you try to lure me to another place there with the promise that there will be something to see, well, you are going to have to convince me. "Fool me once..."

So here is one diver driven away, and my money is staying away with me.

But my point remains.

The idea that "The Bahamas" is a great place to see sharks is simply wrong. Maybe there are "individual dive sites" in the Bahamas that are great places to see sharks, but "individual dive sites" within the Bahamas is not the same as the Bahamas in general. I suspect that it was once true. I suspect that the site place where I dived used to have sharks, but it sure doesn't have them now. I have no interest in going back to where I was before--nothing to see there. If you try to lure me to another place there with the promise that there will be something to see, well, you are going to have to convince me. "Fool me once..."

So here is one diver driven away, and my money is staying away with me.

If you wanted to see sharks, you should have gone to Palm Beach County. We have thousands of sharks, sometimes thousands are right off the beach in shallow water. We have a lot of sharks in Florida, people are getting attacked pretty commonly now..

But my point remains.
The idea that "The Bahamas" is a great place to see sharks is simply wrong. Maybe there are "individual dive sites" in the Bahamas

Unless you chum, it's not that easy to see sharks, even when there are lots around. You have to know where the fish are. For example, if I want to find dog, cubera, or mutton snapper (or black grouper, etc), I have to go to the spots where they hang out, which area wise, is a very small portion of the reef here in Belize. Same with sharks. They have their spots, where fish are also, and most often, unless chummed for, they're more timid and will stay away from divers.

The Boston marathon bombing was sick and evil. A fish head on a dock, not even in the same category. This is a prank that high schoolers play on each other. Maybe they were drunk high schoolers, but that still doesn't make them sick. Your priorities have to be pretty misaligned to think leaving a fish head on a dock means that a deranged maniac is prowling after your kids.

I'm not sure what a basturd is. Is it some kind of fish dropping?

That?? In terms of messed-up things we're capable of doing, definitely G-rated ... Hell, some of the kids might even find it interesting, ... I mean, how often do you get to see a Shark head that size close up??

That?? In terms of messed-up things we're capable of doing, definitely G-rated ... Hell, some of the kids might even find it interesting, ... I mean, how often do you get to see a Shark head that size close up??

have you seen the video games they play these days?!?!?!

seriously they get points for hiring a prostitute, having sex with her, stealing your money back and beating her.

I think a fish head would be the least of their worries.

thread read and noted.........

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom