Slaughtered Hammerhead left on Jupiter, FL Dock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

little??!! What drugs are you on . . . ;-)

A little bit of an update... "NOAA Fisheries has found that two petitions to list the great hammerhead shark under the Endangered Species Act present substantial information that the petitioned action may be warranted. Therefore, the Endangered Species Act requires we make a determination of whether listing the great hammerhead shark as endangered or threatened is warranted within 12 months of the receipt of the petition (December 21, 2013). NOAA Fisheries is initiating a formal status review of the great hammerhead shark under the Endangered Species Act a nd is seeking scientific information to assist our review.

For more information, please see the attached Federal Register Notice (as filed) or go to the NOAA Fisheries Office of Protected Resources Website at:
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/ " - From Randy Jordan Emerald Charters

But my point remains.

The idea that "The Bahamas" is a great place to see sharks is simply wrong. Maybe there are "individual dive sites" in the Bahamas that are great places to see sharks, but "individual dive sites" within the Bahamas is not the same as the Bahamas in general. I suspect that it was once true. I suspect that the site place where I dived used to have sharks, but it sure doesn't have them now. I have no interest in going back to where I was before--nothing to see there. If you try to lure me to another place there with the promise that there will be something to see, well, you are going to have to convince me. "Fool me once..."

So here is one diver driven away, and my money is staying away with me.

That is why I spend my vacation money in Palau.
Sharks are protected there, and I reward that move with my dollars, along with many other divers.

Some places practice better stewardship than others. These practices determine where I spend my money.

The Bahamas has declared their entire nation including its territorial waters to be a no take shark sanctuary for all species. This happened a year or two ago and was big news here and on wetpixel.

I certainly give my $$ support to any nation that does such a thing.

Lots of great diving in the Bahamas, but it is a big area with many great sites and many not so great sites. Need to do research before you go. Not like going on a liveaboard where they have already learned the best sites so you don't have to. Or Bonaire, which is a very small area with the diving already marked out.

You want sharks, try one of Abernethy's shark expedition off of Grand Bahama. It will blow your mind. They also get in some nice reef diving, but the sharks are more up on the sandy banks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom