Slaughtered Hammerhead left on Jupiter, FL Dock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murfdizzle21

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sad news to report. This hammerhead head was left by unknown persons (fishermen) at the dock where Randy Jordan docks his scuba charter boat the Emerald. I'm not sure whether it was discovered yesterday or this morning, but either way a very sad sight. Not sure why people would do this. This shark is worth far more alive. Worth more to the environment and to the community ($$$) alive than dead. I believe some people have reported the incident to FWC but I am not sure what can be done. If anyone knows anything about the story or would like to contribute feel free. Photos taken from facebook, the man holding the head is Capt Ryan from the Emerald. Sad sight...:shakehead:

hammerhead head.jpgHammerhead head 2.jpghammerhead head 3.jpg

I hope they get them! It may be naive of me to ask but what possible reason would anyone have to do this?

Douglas Kahle, who's photos I admire from afar, has posted a $1000 reward for information leading to the arrest and prosecution of those responsible. Jupiter Dive Center has already matched him with an additional $1000.

I am not in that league but I have also pledged $50. I encourage everyone else to do the same.

---------- Post added April 19th, 2013 at 01:42 PM ----------

I hope they get them! It may be naive of me to ask but what possible reason would anyone have to do this?

I don't think it coincidence that this was left at the doorstep of Emerald Charters. There were stunning, Nat Geo quality, photos of hammerheads posted this week from that boat. Whoever did this is pure evil.

I believe it has more to do with the diving practices and marine life drama BS than the photos that were posted. I would really like to know what provoked the individual to do this, just as much as I'd like to see them prosecuted to the fullest extent (Take their boat and everything if possible).

Is taking hammerhead illegal or just horrific?

I'm pretty sure it is illegal if caught within 3 miles of the beach but I'm not sure though.

Caught there or brought ashore/through state waters?

Is taking hammerhead illegal or just horrific?

The following species of Hammerhead shark (or any part of any of the following species) are prohibited from all harvest, possession, landing, purchase, sale or exchange:

Great hammerhead (Sphyrna mokarran)
Scalloped hammerhead (Sphryna lewini)
Smooth hammerhead (Sphyrna zygaena)

Can anyone positivly ID the Shark in the above photos?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom