Question Skin Rash with Raspberry Cysts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Vegas

Registered
Reaction score
I’m seeking advice from a medical professional regarding a rash that I've developed a couple of days after a dive. I was wearing a rash guard, but it seems I still came into contact with something. There was no immediate reaction—no burning, stinging, or cuts—just some light itching.

At the first sign of redness, I rinsed the area with water and peroxide. I then soaked my hand in very hot water with vinegar and applied Neosporin Original Antibiotic Ointment. I also squeezed one of the cysts, thinking it might be pus causing the redness (the liquid was clear and slightly yellow). Now the skin appears dark red (black dot on photo).

The rash resembles photos of reactions to fire coral, but I didn’t experience any burning sensation. Hydroids and jelly fish normally sting. There was no apparent rash for three days. The cysts are now firm to the touch, and it seems like my skin is trying to isolate some kind of toxin. I understand that healing could take time, so I'm not expecting quick results.

Should I let the area dry out or continue applying the antibiotic ointment? Should I try vinegar soaks, or leave it alone and just let the body go through the healing process.

full

full

full

full

As it it an unknown source that caused you this and due to the large area inflicted I would advise you to take some antibiotics such as Cefuroxim 500 mg twice a day for at least 6 days to prevent superinfection if it has not ocurred already. I would also advise some corticosteroid ointment such as mometason at least twice a day.

Get better soon

BTW what you call cysts are not cyst, it is urticaria. Most probably due to a toxin or an allergic reaction.

I'd go see a doctor to be on the safe side.

To have it checked out is of course a sound idea as photos can never replace a live consultation. You would need to see your GP anyway as you need a prescription for both medications I recommended.

The lesions on the back of your hand and wrist look similar to a jelly fish sting. It could be that some transparent tentacles were caught up in your gear and you were stung while transporting, disrobing, and/or cleaning your gear after your dive.

The cnidocytes along the tentacle remain reactive well after a jellyfish is dead and even remain reactive well after a tentacle is separated from the body of a jellyfish and chopped up.

If your gear was damp and had remnants of tentacle on it and you hadled your gear a few days after your dive, you could have conceivably sustained the sting(s) that caused your lesions.

-Z

I'm not a physician, but it looks similar to, but a much worse case of Shingles I had a couple years ago. My Shingles were very mild, and concentrated to a small area on my leg and hip, but yours looks like a very nasty case of what I had. Mine never did sting, but itched like crazy. Hope you can get it diagnosed quickly. Since I had the vaccine, that diagnosis was the last thing I was considering.

Wash that shirt in very hot water, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom