Skills to practice in shallow water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Practice the 20 (24 now?) pool skills on land-- mimmick them. Better than nothing. I doubt many divers take the time to do them on a dive, though many here on SB have said they do.

buoyancy buoyancy buoyancy

conquer it now man and once you have it working for you you have it for life

We sometimes dive the Comal River here in Central Texas. It averages about 2m deep, which means the drift dive is absolutely wonderful buoyancy practice (especially with dry suits). If you pop up there, you can only get hit by a tuber.

Mask clearing, finning techniques, shooting up an SMB, and as mentioned buoyancy. Keep in mind that there will be a buoyancy shift at greater depths and this is where you can practice how much gas to add to your BCD at depth and as you ascend how to gradually let gas out. This will give you a more complete idea of how to practice adjusting buoyancy throughout the dive.

One thing I do is to try to locate, deploy and re-stow the various items I might use on a dive (such as lights, octo, camera, DSMB etc) without looking. That way should I end up in a low vis situation I am not struggling to find the various items - I already have that motion mentally ingrained.

It is also a good thing as it helps you decide the best positioning for items.

@Orestis82: Try the 'bubble mask' procedure. Index finger to thumb, fit against your face so that you can capture a bubble while looking at the bottom. Once you manage to get and keep air next to your eye, you will be able to see clearly. Just a bit of fun, but distracting enough that you will become comfortable diving without a mask, that is a valuable skill.

Lay on your back (on the bottom) and blow bubble rings. Same idea, just fun. But you will learn to look up and deal with the water in your nose pocket. Again, a valuable skill...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom