Sizing up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveFass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just wondering - you have a 7 mil suit - lets say size mens large - and it fits real well, but you want to add some more warmth to it. Is it possible to add a vest to go under it, and if so what size? Or do you need to start with a suit that is one size up - X large? Thanks.

It the suit fits very good, then I'd get a vest that would go over the top of the w/s and not compromise the fit.

Could result in some restricted breathing issues.

the K

Yeah, it's good to avoid those pesky breathing "issues". Thanks K.

I'd get a Henderson Hyperstretch Hooded Vest or a Henderson Hyperstretch Core Warmer to add warmth, and NOT restritct your breathing. Sizing would depend upon how your suit fits, the core warmer is designed to go over the same size suit while the hooded vest is designed to go under (as long as there's room and it's not too tight). The Hyperstretch stretches 250% so there isn't the restrticted breathing issue.

Here is the core warmer so you can see the style:
http://www.crazyscuba.com/pd_mens_hyperstretch_core.cfm

or the hooded vest:
http://www.crazyscuba.com/pd_henderson_hyperstretch_hooded.cfm

good luck!

Britt :fish:
:fish:

Pretty much as CrazyScuba said but also lok at the BARE product line.

If you want to add just a bit then the 3mm hooded vest, worn under you suit is the ticket. The 3mm on the torso shouldn't make much difference in your fit.

If you want cozy then look at the 7mm hooded sleeveless step-in shorty.

I have both and mix and match across 2/3, 5/4 and 7mm full suits.

Thanks. Besides being warm enough, my biggest concern is overheating (which I have done twice), so I'm thinking about how to get in and out as quickly as possible. I'm wondering if getting a zipperwould do the trick. It's hard to find a vest with a zipper. I only found one company so far - a custom wetsuit shop. can't remember the name (it's bookmarked on my work computer).

I think I'll pick up a Bare Arctic. It fits pretty well, and I think for the price it has some impressive features. Today I found out it is available in ninja black!

Spectrum - I hope you got a quantity discount! Or at least a free t-shirt!

SteveFass...

The overheating is pretty easy to deal with...
*Stage you gear
*Get into your rig
*Pour a liter of water/amient/cool down your collar. That will provide a surprising amount of thermal relief while you get to the water. If you wear a weight belt the water will hold right around your torso and keep you nice and cool. I keep a cooler of 1/2 liter (tap) water bottles in the van for this along with leaving a bottle under the back bumper for key rinsing and use more for getting sand off my booties before packing up.

When wearing this vest: http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/product_details.aspx?pid=003117&dept_id=57

I zip it to the collarline when gearing up and leave the hood back.

At the waterline I:
*Don and zip the hood
*Set my mask
*Don my gloves

Getting out of the water I reverse the procedure. Being able to keep the head and neck in open air while out of the water relieves a lot of the heat stress.

The 3mm vest when worn under the wetsuit is trivial in terms of getting out post dive heat. With the correct chiken wing technique (maybe that's there it got the chicken vest name?) is a snap to doff.

My local diving ranges from 84F-34F, it takes a wide range of protection to enjoy all that water comfortably. I wish I were on the test staff!

Pete

You can flood your suit to stay cooler when you're in the water, or pour some water down your suit before getting into the water as spectrum said. The Hyperstretch is so easy to get in and out of, it won't take you long at all.

There are other vests with zippers, it just depends on how thick and how flexible you want it. The Hyperstretch is so flexible, you don't need a zipper. The Henderson Gold zippered vest dries fast and is easy to get on and off, NeoSport also has a zippered vest that's easy to get on/off. The zipper will also decrease the effectiveness of keeping cold water out when you're doing colder water dives, than a vest without an opening like that.

Hope you find what you're looking for in the right combination!

Britt :fish:
:fish:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom