Sixgill Shark Sighting @ Cove 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was one of the lucky divers that night. I'm still marvelling at the experience. The word "awesome" is overused these days, but that shark trully was awesome. Her grace and beauty were humbling, to say the least. I will NEVER forget the moment when Calvin flashed his light at me to get my attention, and as I turned to my left, thinking he's found a nudibranch or something, seeing that huge, gray, shape hovering between him and Howard- she was facing directly away from me, and that distinctive tail, combined with her sheer mass.....well, I knew what it was right away, but it took my little brain a few beats to process it. (one, one thousand, two, one thousand....SHARK. Big.......SHARK.) Coolest thing I've seen in the water, ever.

funkyspelunker:
A couple buddies and I came across a 14-foot sixgill shark last night at Cove 2. It was amazing. The adult female swam gracefully for a few minutes, then settled down to the bottom.

I took some footage of it.

Was that Thurs. Night? I beleive we ran into him/her(?), at 65' on the boundry line scootering back from the I -Beams, ours was big too, my partner says 10', but I thought bigger, bright coloring too. Sound like your sighting?

Very nice report. I am very jealous. Very Cool.

mattwave:
Was that Thurs. Night? I beleive we ran into him/her(?), at 65' on the boundry line scootering back from the I -Beams, ours was big too, my partner says 10', but I thought bigger, bright coloring too. Sound like your sighting?

Very cool. I'm not sure if they travel in packs or not, I don't think so. So, yeah you probably saw the same one. I was right up along side her and measuring in body distances I figured she was *at least* 2 times as long as I am tall, possibly 2.5X if you count to the tip of the tail. Great coloring, very light.

Back
Top Bottom