Six weeks in Indonesia - Dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another thing I hate to mention -- take some Pepto Bismol as a preventative for traveller's diarrhea. Some estimates are up to 30% or even 70% of people get it.

Nothing worse than spending hundreds of dollars a day to sit on the toilet.

- Bill

If you get bad diarrhea get some Nifural which is the brand name for Nifuroxacide.
Quote from Wikipedia - Nifuroxazide (INN) is an oral nitrofuran antibiotic, patented since 1966[1] and used to treat colitis and diarrhoea in humans and non-humans.[2] It is sold under the brand names Ambatrol, Antinal, Bacifurane, Diafuryl(Turkey), Pérabacticel (France), Antinal, Diax (Egypt), Nifrozid, Ercefuryl (Romania, Czech Republic, Russia), Erfuzide (Thailand), Endiex (Slovakia), Enterofuryl (Russia), Nifuroksazyd (Poland), Pentofuryl (Germany), Topron, Enterovid (Latin America), Eskapar (Mexico), Enterocolin (Bolivia), Apazid (Morocco), Nifural (Indonesia) and Septidiaryl. It is sold in capsule form and also as a suspension. A 2016 clinical trial showed Nifuroxazide to be more effective compared to probiotics in treating acute diarrhea in adults.
Check contraindications - this is a real med - but my experience is that it works.

As for where to dive - if you are in Manado, get yourself to some of the muck sites on that side of the bay, they are surprisingly good.

Another thing I hate to mention -- take some Pepto Bismol as a preventative for traveller's diarrhea. Some estimates are up to 30% or even 70% of people get it.

Nothing worse than spending hundreds of dollars a day to sit on the toilet.

- Bill
My mother fed us moldy garbage as children and as a result we almost never get sick. Unless I'm on a plane I almost never take drugs for stomach issues. Just ride it out. :)

Also buy Otopain at the next Apotek on the road : can be a trip saver, it's a combination f everything that can soothe your earpain..

+1 for Otopain, it partially helped save the Bangka part of my N Sulawesi trip in August (Batu Sahaung was fantastic!).
I only got one dive in at Bunaken, which was a wall with turtles :wink: (one of which was huge to be fair!)

We are (hopefully) heading to Bali/possibly Komodo in late May. I'm not sure what the current will be like that time of year. I have split fins which have been fine in relatively heavy current before (but with some mitigating factors) - should I get some jet fins?

I can't guess if you need something different, but I will say there are plenty of paddle fins out there that are lighter than jets so possibly more travel friendly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom