Six weeks in Indonesia - Dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maat1976

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I finagled a 6 weeks break between my SG secondment and my UK home job. The six weeks were originally going to be used for something else, but when that didn't pan out, I decided to do the only sensible thing and dive for the entire time. Woe is me... :wink:

So I've got ten dive days in Bali, split between Padang Bai with Geko and Tulamben with Aqua Dive Paradise, followed by a 14 day LOB with Ilike Indonesia out of Sorong, followed by 16 days in Bunaken and Lembeh with Froggies. A few fine tuning questions:
  • I've been to Bali numerous times. Any recommendations on dive sites in Amed? I'll have a day there from Tulamben most likely.
  • Raja - Thoughts on bringing a reef hook? Mid to end December time.
  • Bunaken - I have no memory of it at all other than pain (major ear infection), so any site recommendations appreciated. I assume bigger stuff.
  • Lembeh - Same as Bunaken but I did get well enough to get back in the water for a few days diving. I loved loved loved the macro here, and would be hard pressed to say whether this or Anilao was my fav macro location. Dive site recommendations appreciated.
  • Finally, I've got two pair of fins with me here in Singapore. I have my jet fins, which are quite powerful but a pain when needing to be delicate and not kick up silt with macro. I'm improving on this. I also have my old fins which are more bendy, so like ballet slippers. They are great for macro silty sites because they're lighter and less powerful. I'm leaning towards bringing the jet fins for the trip because they'll be better in Raja (and well, they just look cooler), but if it's not stupid currenty I may not need them. Thoughts? I literally had a dream the other night about this.
maat1976

I got very confused just then, wondering where all the replies had gone and realised this wasn't your thread from July (I've been using that thread and the excellent replies to help plan a Christmas getaway from the UK :wink:). Although I have dived Amed I can't remember any special dives there, but there were lots of blue spotted rays and it was a memorable because of the very warm and clear water.

Bring the jet fins for Raja. We had some dives with strong current and you will be glad to have them. You can bring the reef hook just in case though realistically there were only a few dives where you might have used it.

I
I got very confused just then, wondering where all the replies had gone and realised this wasn't your thread from July (I've been using that thread and the excellent replies to help plan a Christmas getaway from the UK :wink:). Although I have dived Amed I can't remember any special dives there, but there were lots of blue spotted rays and it was a memorable because of the very warm and clear water.

I know! Awesome info in there. The timing wasn’t great for some of them. I def need to get to Flores at some point, and lots of other good suggestions.

Excellent plan for the 6 weeks!

Are you going to Bali soon? You might just catch the end of mola mola season. Water will be cold but hey, it's mola mola :D

Bunaken - I have no memory of it at all other than pain (major ear infection), so any site recommendations appreciated. I assume bigger stuff.
If you expect to see "bigger stuff" in Bunaken you might get disappointed. Don't get me wrong, diving there is nice but the biggest things you will probably encounter are turtles and few sharks or bumpheads (if you are lucky).
There are plenty of endless marvelous walls though!
With an itinerary like yours though I wouldn't worry - by the end of it you will have seen pretty much the whole range from big to super tiny stuff and everything in between.

Bring your reef hook to Raja you might use it.

Can't help you with Amed.

Lembeh sites...It's really about what critters are on your list. Tell your guide what you want to see and they will select the best site for it.

Fins... bring the jets, there can be strong currents in R4. In Lembeh use a gentle frog kick and keep your fins up. Nobody likes a silt storm, if everyone in your group is concious silt storms can be kept to a minimum. Unfortunately that is rarely the case.

Bring some ear beer for your ears ( 50/50 mix of vinegar and alcohol with a few drops of glycerin) I use it on trips and it keeps me from getting an ear infection 95% of the time, for that last 5% I have antibiotics for my ears also

Amed : only one spot worth, japanese wreck.

Bunaken is meh.

Agree with dirtfarmer regarding earbeer, I've always had ear infection without it in N/Sulawesi (not specifically Lembeh : Bangka was even worse for me).
You'll smell like pickled onions after your dive but so what... :D
Also buy Otopain at the next Apotek on the road : can be a trip saver, it's a combination f everything that can soothe your earpain..

Definitely expect current in Raja. Bring the reef hook and strong fins.

Definitely expect very pretty walls and turtles (and not much else) in Bunaken.

Definitely bring the earpain stuff - something to rinse out your ears and an antibiotic in case you get an infection. My Doc recommended drying them out with a hairdryer (!!) after each dive. (No heat).

- Bill

Good advice all around. I'm a fan of the earbeer for sure, and I am happy to smell like a chip shop to fend off the infection. I also have antifungal/biotics at the ready - a GP friend brought them for me when we were diving in March.

Noted on jet fins and reef hook - I can't remember if I left my reef hook in the UK, or if I've lost it. Either way I need to get one.

Lembeh - I'm desperate to see a hairy frogfish, I love these guys and I saw one once years ago before I was a competent enough diver to take a camera along. Always hoping to spot one. I remember tons of crazy nudis, especially flabellina in Lembeh.
Bali - will miss mola season sadly. Noted on Amed as well. If only dive is worth heading out of town, maybe I'll just keep on diving the Liberty since it's so awesome. Last time I did the elevator swimmy through thing at some time during the day when the light shafts through it were just perfect. Hope to time it well again.
Bunaken - well if beautiful walls are the main course I'll be perfectly happy.

:)

Back
Top Bottom