Sites other than Brockville / Rockport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayne A

Registered
Reaction score
I do a fair amount of diving in the Brockville/Rockport area and know the sites quite well. Last year I had a group of buddies up from California for a long weekend and we dove the usual sights with Wayne Green. This year they'll hopefully do a longer trip and would like to expand their horizons.
Does anyone have any suggestions for dives/charters up or down the river?

TIA

Wayne

Kingston!!! :dazzler1:

Seriously, after my first trip to Kingston, I'm completely hooked. I've done charters with NTD and Big Jim's Charters and good trips with both. You can choose form steel wrecks, wooden wrecks, tall ships, early steam, screw/propeller driven or paddlewheel or newer diesel powered wrecks. Truly something for everyone.

Groundhog246:
QUOTE]
I dove Kingston quite a bit my first and second season in Ontario and I agree the wrecks are great but I honestly must be jinxed in that town. I've spent two mornings waiting on the dock for charters that were 4 hours late and the last season I was blown off the lake at least 75% of the time. I'd rather not take the chance for guys that have flown all the way for 5 days of diving.

Where in the heck were you diving that you'd get blown out? Last year, I know of two days that were bad enough to be a legitimate blowout, and they were in like, October!

Boogie711:
Where in the heck were you diving that you'd get blown out? Last year, I know of two days that were bad enough to be a legitimate blowout, and they were in like, October!

I didn't dive Kingston last year. My last season there was 2001. Also, if you read my post I'm not saying that the lake is blown out 75% of the time. I'm saying I was.

Wayne A:
I didn't dive Kingston last year. My last season there was 2001. Also, if you read my post I'm not saying that the lake is blown out 75% of the time. I'm saying I was.

Wayne: 2001 was a fickle summer for weather indeed. The summer of 2000 was great which led allot of us to book morining and afternoon charters--- bad idea as 2001 always had wind and waves in the early afternoon. My log show crappy weather for most of the weekends. But as Tom said- last year was great and the year before that was good as well. Perhaps this summer will be even better. If you want good weather the best plan is to go in the morning (depart by 8am and the weather should be fine until noon). Don't count out K-town because of weather......

But other areas to dive would be Lake Erie-or Toby....but they have weather issues as well.

Cliff

Wayne A:
Groundhog246:
QUOTE]
I dove Kingston quite a bit my first and second season in Ontario and I agree the wrecks are great but I honestly must be jinxed in that town. I've spent two mornings waiting on the dock for charters that were 4 hours late and the last season I was blown off the lake at least 75% of the time. I'd rather not take the chance for guys that have flown all the way for 5 days of diving.

A fallback plan would be good. Unfortunately, being blown out is a factor with anything to do with boats. Along with diving, I sail Georgian Bay out of Meaford. Been trying to make a trip to White Cloud Island for 4 years. Farthest I've gotten was 1/3 of the way (about 9 miles) when we hit dense fog (50 to 100 foot vis) and a boat travelling with us had an electrical fire in his engine spaces. Never seem to have a problem when we decide to travel East, just when we try to go West. :06:

What wrecks/sites have you done? Knowing that will make it easier to recommend new ones.

Thanks Cliff. It's certainly starting to sound as if I just had bad luck. I'll definitely book a couple in Kingston then.
Tobermory's not in the plans although we are trying to finish up with Jim Herbert even though that has weather risks of it's own.

Limestone Diver:
Wayne: 2001 was a fickle summer for weather indeed. The summer of 2000 was great which led allot of us to book morining and afternoon charters--- bad idea as 2001 always had wind and waves in the early afternoon. My log show crappy weather for most of the weekends. But as Tom said- last year was great and the year before that was good as well. Perhaps this summer will be even better. If you want good weather the best plan is to go in the morning (depart by 8am and the weather should be fine until noon). Don't count out K-town because of weather......

But other areas to dive would be Lake Erie-or Toby....but they have weather issues as well.

Cliff

Back
Top Bottom