Sister can't sue over scuba diving death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freak accident but it was an accident. And to echo some others, why didn't she see there was a problem if she had her hand on him and saw they were sinking.

Oh wait, maybe they hadn't taken a rescue class yet to deal with that. Probably just an open water class that thought an air share on their knees and a tired diver tow is all new divers need.:shakehead:

There are lot more details like the victim's and sister actions (or lack there of) as well as the cause of death that are missing. These will come out in the parent's suit.

I think that her call of a heart attack was right, possibly precipated by the reg malfunction. I have seen divers OOA and there were more antimated about sharing air than what was described, and with the safe second sharing air is not a problem, even for a novice.

As for details coming out in the parent's suit, I predict a settelment with a non disclosure clause.

Bob
-----------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I think that her call of a heart attack was right, possibly precipated by the reg malfunction.

At first glance that would seem to be the most plausible. But even with that the description sounds a bit to clam unless it was a massive MI. That said the victim did single to call the dive. If the airflow was restricted he would be working hard to breath which my first thought was CO2 and hypercapnia causing the initial issue.

I have seen divers OOA and there were more antimated about sharing air than what was described, and with the safe second sharing air is not a problem, even for a novice.

Same here.

As for details coming out in the parent's suit, I predict a settelment with a non disclosure clause.

Discovery will certainly be interesting.

training training TRAINING practice PRACTICE 6 hours in pool is not enough
Uh...I think my PADI training put us underwater in the pool for around 2 hours.

I could see someone not getting enough air from their reg, start panicking and causing themselves to have a heart attack. It begs the question why he didn't give his buddy the OOA sign, or just grab her reg? Or check his other second stage for function? I still say training and practice.

Bob's description of the OOA event is accurate for many, as the two circumstances I have been in where I donated my long hose were very calm. One kept trying to suck their tank dry not removing their own reg, when my functioning reg was in their hand. Goes back to practice though as they were not comfortable yet pulling their reg from their mouth. I recently was practicing air shares with one of my dive buddies, and he took around 4 breaths getting up the courage to remove his reg. It is not the first time I have seen people do that.

Jim, in the "undisputed facts" I can't figure out why it doesn't say the victim signaled OOA. Maybe he did and its not in the court documents. If he didn't I can see where it confussed the whole situation.

Freak accident but it was an accident. And to echo some others, why didn't she see there was a problem if she had her hand on him and saw they were sinking.

Oh wait, maybe they hadn't taken a rescue class yet to deal with that. Probably just an open water class that thought an air share on their knees and a tired diver tow is all new divers need.:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom