Non Diving DCS Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A number of sandhog workers were killed by decompression sickness while building the Holland Tunnel connecting NJ and NYC. The tunnel was completed in 1927. DCS hits and deaths were not uncommon during deep underwater tunnel construction back in the day, before the risks were fully understood, or even cared about. It was called 'caisson workers disease'.

A number of sandhog workers were killed by decompression sickness while building the Holland Tunnel connecting NJ and NYC. The tunnel was completed in 1927. DCS hits and deaths were not uncommon during deep underwater tunnel construction back in the day, before the risks were fully understood, or even cared about. It was called 'caisson workers disease'.
Yes. In the 19th century, fashionable women adopted a stooped posture called the "Grecian Bend." You can read about it and see a picture here. Caisson Workers in pain from DCS adopted a similar pose. It was said that they had gotten the Grecian bends, or just the bends.

He said that on all the space shuttle missions, the shuttles took large bottles of Tylenol, and not a single pill has ever returned.
That just sounded funny to me. I'm curious to know how many missions he is talking about and how many more will it take to figure out the appropriate amount of supplies.

That just sounded funny to me. I'm curious to know how many missions he is talking about and how many more will it take to figure out the appropriate amount of supplies.
As he saw it, the astronauts did not want to talk about it because they believed that admitting they had DCS symptoms would get them removed from the astronaut corps.

As he saw it, the astronauts did not want to talk about it because they believed that admitting they had DCS symptoms would get them removed from the astronaut corps.
Pilots will never conceal a medical condition in order to keep their medical ticket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom