Hawaii authorities say 33 swimmers were harassing dolphins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just leave nature alone, particularly the fauna. Observe from an appropriate distance, but don't touch. Nothing out there is some cute, cuddly creature that just popped out of a CGI video.

A couple months in jail and a few thousand dollars in fines for each of them would teach them a lesson that might stick.

Yes let's completely ruin their lives by throwing them in jail for a first time offense.

Just leave nature alone, particularly the fauna. Observe from an appropriate distance, but don't touch. Nothing out there is some cute, cuddly creature that just popped out of a CGI video.
Have you ever tried to touch a dolphin in the wild?

No. I was crossing over the Boynton Beach reef from the outside to the inside. I saw something out of the corner of my eye. Five dolphins swam right in front of me, about 3 ft away. To my surprise, they swam 3 circles slowly around me. I could look them right in the eye. After the 3 circles, they slowly swam away to the south, the direction they had originally been moving. It was magic, one of the most amazing interactions I have had underwater. Go down, swim around, you'll be amazed at what you will see :)

My buddy and I had three dolphins approach us in Bonaire. They swam curiously around us for for over a minute, easily within touching distance. TBH I was too sh1t scared to even consider touching them. So I guess it’s possible…

My buddy and I had three dolphins approach us in Bonaire. They swam curiously around us for for over a minute, easily within touching distance. TBH I was too sh1t scared to even consider touching them. So I guess it’s possible…
Outside of Tiputa Pass in Rangiroa, they come right up to you to interact and some want their bellies/flukes scratched (esp with familiar DM’s) - pretty amazing experience!

Outside of Tiputa Pass in Rangiroa, they come right up to you to interact and some want their bellies/flukes scratched (esp with familiar DM’s) - pretty amazing experience!

I used to dive with Cape Fur seals in South Africa. We learned to keep our gloved fingers in our armpits when they approached us. Rumor was they would nibble on your fingers. They can crack a mussel with ease. It never happened to me or anyone I knew but we weren’t go to be “that” guy that confirmed the warning. Habit has stayed with me for over 40 yrs.

I used to dive with Cape Fur seals in South Africa. We learned to keep our gloved fingers in our armpits when they approached us. Rumor was they would nibble on your fingers. They can crack a mussel with ease. It never happened to me or anyone I knew but we weren’t go to be “that” guy that confirmed the warning. Habit has stayed with me for over 40 yrs.
You realize just how big the dolphins are when they brush right against you as they swim past. I wouldn’t want to come across an angry one!

Back
Top Bottom