Sister can't sue over scuba diving death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Sheriff's investigators determined that a plastic insert from his suit's low-pressure hose, manufactured by SI Tech, had become lodged in his breathing tube and cut off his air supply."

Huh?
There was a recall on the hoses if you remember.
SI Tech Recalls Diving Suit Hoses Due to Drowning Hazard; One Death Reported

What happened to their training on air sharing? Practice, practice, practice, then if there is an event it is a non issue. His buddy was right there and available.

For clarification on my part... had he attached the inflator hose to his regulator? I don't understand how an inflator hose cut off his breathing air.
"The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department investigated the scuba-diving accident. The investigators collected Myers’s scuba gear. The second stage of the regulator was examined by technicians who found a black cylindrical-shaped object, known as a “flow restriction insert,” in the regulator that did not appear on any of the product schematics. According to the investigation report, the flow-restriction insert was in a location “that would appear to restrict normal airflow.” The insert came from the company’s low-pressure dry suit hose. Investigators determined the flow-restriction insert caused the regulator to fail."

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...PAC4sx0jj7_dTaQ&bvm=bv.41248874,d.cGE&cad=rja

How on earth did it get from one downstream hose into another?

Yeah I am at a loss too, how does the drysuit inflator hose migrate back through the first stage and make its way into the 2 stage? I am sure it is just not being explained properly

Yeah I am at a loss too, how does the drysuit inflator hose migrate back through the first stage and make its way into the 2 stage? I am sure it is just not being explained properly

Seeing the pics it becomes clearer. That piece is located in the end of the hose that connects to the first stage. I'm guessing that at some point when the regulator was not pressurized the piece came loose and ended up inside the body of the first stage. At some subsequent point when the reg was pressurized the piece got lodged in the port for the divers primary 2nd stage.

The insert was probably a press fit piece which in most cases would be fine. However, over time with heat and cold it could have shrunk and come loose. I could see that given the accident occurred in the warm climate and cold waters of S. California.

The piece is small enough that I can also see it rattling around in the LP turret of a regulator. Further, given that the second stage is what is going to be drawing gas, having it lodge in the second stage hose, while pretty high odds is probable. From there it makes it way down to the second stage proper.

There are lot more details like the victim's and sister actions (or lack there of) as well as the cause of death that are missing. These will come out in the parent's suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom