sinus pain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwesler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
First an apology if this has been covered...I did not see it in a search.

Just did my Rescue Cert, and got a lot of water up my nose on one of the scenarios. Did about 6 "real" dives in three days, in addition to the usual bouncing of "rescuing divers". The evening of the last day, approx 3 hours after diving, I developed a lot of pressure in one sinus. Took Advil and it relieved the pain. The next day, pressure/pain returned. Still treated with Advil.

Flew the next day (please note no dives since this began). Symptoms were not aggraved or relieved.

Question-does this sound like a sinus infection (no yellow mucus so far)? Inflamation and aggravation from salt water? Something else? Anyone have an insight? I have an appt with my Dr. tomorrow afternoon. The pressure is intense enough to make my one eye water.

Ken

I was NO WHERE near NDL. Also no reverse block issues. My ascents were also nice and slow. I review my computer log to make sure my memory was accurate, and I indeed had no ascent violations-Oceanic Dataplus 2.

Originally posted by kwesler

Question-does this sound like a sinus infection (no yellow mucus so far)? Inflamation and aggravation from salt water? Something else?

Ken

Hi kwesler:

I'm afraid the answer to your question is "Yes". It is often possible to give a general list of possible causes for someone's symptoms on an Internet discussion board, but it is rarely possible and almost never prudent to try to give a specific diagnosis to any individual without more information than can be gathered here.

Barotrauma is a frequent cause of sinus pain associated with scuba diving. The injured sinus(es) can become secondarily infected. Getting salt water up your nose could cause problems, but I'd say the most likely problem it would cause in a diver is minor irritation and swelling which would lead to barotrauma. Or it could be a number of less likely "something elses".

Sorry to not be more specific, but a trip to the doctor is wise when the problem seems significant.

Bill

The above information is intended for discussion purposes only and is not meant as specific medical advice for any individual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom