Sinus bleeding after dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

auen1

Registered
Reaction score
My sinus's have been bleeding after diving. A pretty shallow dive, maybe 15'.
I went down kinda fast. And up and down several times.

Anyway, the other divers I'm with, says this happens all the time.

It's been 4 days since my last dive and still bleeding. Not bad, no nose bleeds and not draining into my lungs. Just spitting blood clots out of the sinus cavity.

So my questions are:
Is this a common event?
Suppose it's OK to dive again tonight?

Thanks!

Yah, don't dive like that until you see a doctor. A nasty infection could cost you a lot of diving.

Oh, and one more thing...
No it's not normal. It doesn't happen to everyone.

Call DAN: +1-919-684-2948. 8:30 - 5 EST. Would not dive again until you do.

+1 I would not dive till you get this checked . Yes this nose bleeds can happen . Some times from a little to aggressive ear clearing (pinch nose and plowing to hard)but this is usually just short term . You may have damaged your sinuses, from a to rapped of accent and or decent. accented to fast with some mild to moderate congestion and get a revers block . decent to fast and don't keep ahead of the pressure in sinuses . I have to take my first dive of the day slow at decent , I get sinus block (they do not equalize well on 1st dive ) after that I am good to go but I always keep my descents well controlled and steady . Call Dan get a referral for a dive DR. AND GO SEE HIM/HER

Hi Dan, Called and talked to someone at your office.
OK, lol, see posts below...

Last edited:
DAN is an acronym for Divers Alert Network. They have a toll free non-emergency medical hotline with staff who are chaulked full of info and references.
Website can be accessed via the link below:
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/

They will be better suited to answering your question and providing insight on what action you should take to solve this issue.
They as an organization do not monitor the scubaboard forums. So your request for a call back is not going to be answered via here.

Keep in mind this a public internet forum and everyone: divers and non-divers alike can see what you post here.
Including the personal number that you just posted to the public.

As a friendly reminder to everyone. Not every person is used to the concept of an internet forum or the common and uncommonly used acronyms. It would be really helpful, especially with new posters, to explain as if they have no reference as to what you're talking about. Not everyone trains with a shop that gives DAN coverage; some use Dive Assure, or other agencies.
And not everyone references the same either. Case in point, DAN or as some people typed: Dan.

Ya, never heard of DAN. Self trained.
I have been diving a while, almost every day, 4-5 months a year, for the last 18 years. And I am usually under the water 10-12 hours a day. Most of my experience has been diving solo. I have never needed outside help.

Diving is how I make my living.
Right now, I'm diving under the ice, on night shift.

Everything has been fine up til now, other than an infection or two.
So that is why I came here to ask the pros about my issue.
Anyhow, as soon as I asked my question, the bleeding stopped.
But I do have a Dr.'s appointment for tomorrow.

I am just going to descend slower, I'm sure that was the cause.

Thanks for the advice!

Ya, never heard of DAN. Self trained.
I have been diving a while, almost every day, 4-5 months a year, for the last 18 years. And I am usually under the water 10-12 hours a day. Most of my experience has been diving solo. I have never needed outside help.
Right now, I'm diving under the ice, on night shift.

Everything has been fine up til now, other than an infection or two.
So that is why I came here to ask the pros about my issue.
Anyhow, as soon as I asked my question, the bleeding stopped.
But I do have a Dr.'s appointment for tomorrow.

I am just going to descend slower, I'm sure that was the cause.

Thanks for the advice!

Might want to buy a NAUI Master Diver Training book to brush up on the dive physiology and other such things that you might have not gotten to know in your self training regime. There might be other agency books with the same info, but NAUI's all I know first hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom