Sinking of USAFS Gen. Hoyt S. Vandenberg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tee_jay:
Hell, give me 1 million and a couple of sticks of dynamite and I'll do it for them! Please excuse my ignorance, but why does it cost so much to sink a ship? Is that how much they will actually have to pay to sink the ship, or is that how much money they are losing by having to buy another one?

Tee_jay,

The main cost is to clean the ship and meet the EPA requirements. There is fuel, pcb's, etc., etc. The other cost of transporting the ship to a ship yard, dockage, then transporting the ship to the sinking site. The entire process could easily take more than a year.

Glenn

Thanks for that. I can understand that there's alot to be done...but in my mind it still seems expensive. I'm not complaining though, more dive sites for us!

meesier42:
put it on her side!!!!!!!! at least on a good angle. Keep the whole thing shallower that way

It might just end up on it's side if they let the idiots in charge of sinking the Spiegal Grove sink her.

mike_s:
It might just end up on it's side if they let the idiots in charge of sinking the Spiegal Grove sink her.

It will be ok as long as there's hurricane's to fix it! And would I go to dive her. HELL YEAH! I'm going to the keys every year anyway it looks like so I'd give her a go. Either that or we gotta nice little lake up here in W.Va. they could put her in! Warm water too!

Back
Top Bottom