Sinking of USAFS Gen. Hoyt S. Vandenberg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gpatton

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
The Sinking of USAFS Gen. Hoyt S. Vandenberg is at the final decision and funding phase. The Monroe County Commission has a possible opportunity to help fund the sinking of the Vandenberg coming up at the budget hearings Sept 13.

My question to the Scubaboard is ...

Does the Scubaboard community support the sinking of the Vandenberg and will you come to the Keys to dive, if the Vandenberg is sunk?

For more information about USAFS Gen. Hoyt S. Vandenberg go to
http://www.bigshipwrecks.com/

*IF* I was in Key West, yes I'd go dive it. (assuming they sink it in a spot that makes it reasonable to run trips to it and depths that are rasonable).

Are they still going to sink is in Key West? or did the choose another location. I can see some folks debate to sink it further up in the keys so it's more diveable, but Key West is lacking in new dive spots, so I can see reason to sink it there.

Most of the time though you won't find a majority of your divers going the extra distance to Key West for diving though. (in my opinion). Maybe this will change that some.

Nahhh, sink it in New England if they want more support. Oh, and leave all parts intact prior to the sinking.

all4scuba05:
Oh, and leave all parts intact prior to the sinking.

If they leave the entire thing intact, they'll have to sink it really deep. The Vandeberg has HUGE antenna arrays on top of it. the main decks would be pretty deep to get the tops of the arrays under 65 feet (the average dept the corp of eng requires to sink stuff).

agm10_genvandenberg.jpg

Of course if they left the arrays/dishes on, it'd still be a cool dive to dive with those. maybe they can at least sink them near it.

mike_s:
If they leave the entire thing intact, they'll have to sink it really deep. The Vandeberg has HUGE antenna arrays on top of it. the main decks would be pretty deep to get the tops of the arrays under 65 feet (the average dept the corp of eng requires to sink stuff).

agm10_genvandenberg.jpg

Of course if they left the arrays/dishes on, it'd still be a cool dive to dive with those. maybe they can at least sink them near it.

probably won't leave them in the ocean for fear that the al keda :wink: will get them and use em . . . you know with that scuba program they got running in the desert :D :D :D

on topic though I would love to dive it!!!

Last I heard was that anything bolted would get removed my divers anyway...

wasn't there a thread about removing stuff from reef wrecks :wink:

jhbryaniv:
wasn't there a thread about removing stuff from reef wrecks :wink:

There was a thread about a diver removing equpment from the USS Oriiskany in the past month or so. After much debate, the diver (who was not involved in this thread), returned the items to be replaced on the Oriskany.

I believe the captain that was involved in the removal also "aided" in the return of the items.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom