Sinking Boat = big problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's useful info on the VHF. You just have to remember to unclip it from the boat before it gets too deep :)

Scarey times. Why did the kayak start to sink?
Glad it all worked out.

I wish the video played longer?

It looked like you had the hatch cover open/missing. once you removed the tank, you might have been able to lift the kayak, dump the water out and at least keep the empty boat afloat and then swim it toward shore? Is that what you did after the video discontinued? What happened to the hatch?

The next hour was just trying to swim to that island with all the stuff, then the camera quit. I did eventually get the Kayak turned over. I was about to abandon the Kayak, but gave it one more try and a bunch of water must have gotten because it was a lot easier. When I got back to shore, I realized the seal on the hatch was off (the one under the tank). The waves were kind of big earlier and water was splashing over the top. Gotta make sure I check that next time.

I thought it was because your phone got wet and was dead. I'm confused...

I had the chance to call for help before I went in the water - when I got back to the boat from fishing I realized it was sinking, but was still able to get in. I thought I could balance it and paddle to the island, but that didn't work out. Glad to hear they don't charge you for coming out from what someone else on here posted!

A PLB and/or a waterproof VHF are great ideas.
As is a waterproof phone.
I don't know how many times I've brought my phone into the shower or bath and never had a single issue with it not working even after being submerged for minutes.

A PLB and/or a waterproof VHF are great ideas.
As is a waterproof phone.
I don't know how many times I've brought my phone into the shower or bath and never had a single issue with it not working even after being submerged for minutes.
I've also submerged my phone numerous times on purpose. I use it for photos at water parks etc. All Samsung and Apple phones since the iphone7/galaxy 7 are waterproof/resistant to some degree.

Some folks say never to dive alone and some say to extend that to kayaking also. It’s really important to check everything often on your kayak like hatch covers, bungees, hooks, attachment points, anchor and line. Make sure everything is up to snuff just like your scuba gear. I have a rule that I never remove a hatch cover out in the ocean, never ever.
Many people have a hand pump. I’ve heard of guys rigging up a small bulge pump down inside the kayak powered by a sealed battery.
Some even carry a waterproof rescue kit containing a flare gun.
And yes, a PLB and cell phone in a waterproof pelican case.
This might sound like a lecture, but the ocean is nothing to mess with. Some people get away with nothing happening for years until one day it happens. We’ve pulled out several kayaks that sank and were rolling around on the bottom of the ocean for months or maybe years. It happens.

On the other hand, if you call the Coast Guard on channel 16 from a VHF radio in a coastal zone, their digital select calling will immediately pinpoint your location, and they can play back and enhance the audio of your radio call to make sense of whatever you're yelling into the radio. That's your best bet for an immediate launch of rescue assets who know who you are and where you are.
Using VHF 16 to call for help DOES NOT activate DSC (digital select calling) and WILL NOT give anyone your location. However, if you push the distress button on a DSC radio (and not all VHF in use are DSC compatible), it will send your location IF you have it connected to a GPS or it has a built in GPS.

A mobile phone will be able to be tracked more easily than a VHF call.

Note: I am a volunteer Watch Officer in charge of the second busiest radio room for Marine Rescue New South Wales.

Using VHF 16 to call for help DOES NOT activate DSC (digital select calling) and WILL NOT give anyone your location. However, if you push the distress button on a DSC radio (and not all VHF in use are DSC compatible), it will send your location IF you have it connected to a GPS or it has a built in GPS.

A mobile phone will be able to be tracked more easily than a VHF call.

Note: I am a volunteer Watch Officer in charge of the second busiest radio room for Marine Rescue New South Wales.

I thought it was obvious I was referring to US coastal waters—you know, where this particular case occurred—and the distress communications system of the world’s finest Coast Guard.

Here, whether you push the DSC button on your VHF radio or not, the US Coast Guard has your position as soon as you make your transmission. Cell phone is the less preferred means of communication.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom