Single vs doubles.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Linedog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Where I dive it's common to have a bit of deco obligation. I dive a single 130, I get tired of swapping tanks and hanging around on a SI. Ya think I might enjoy a set of HP100's more than a single 130?

I'm curious, please clarify what "a bit" of deco obligation is to you. Your profile suggests that you are only PADI AOW certified with < 100 dives. Is this correct?

I would hope that anyone incurring deco obligations, especially in a solo diving context, would already have a background in gear selection and dive planning to ensure they have adequate gas supply and redundancy to get back to the exit point safely.

If you find sitting around on the surface doing a SI dull you might want to think about whether sitting around at a deco stop is more interesting... especially by yourself.... I agree with the others, you seem to be racing ahead of what is prudent.

Solo + no redundant air source = bad things.

Solo + no redundant air source = bad things.

Solo + Deco + no redundant air source = Hubris

SCUBA + Hubris + time = accident (can be fatal)

Personally, I use the surface as the redundant air source on the majority of my dives since a lot of my dive sites are fairly shallow and without deco or entanglements, have been since "63.

Bob
----------------------------------------------
The most important thing to plan when solo diving is to make sure that you are not diving with an idiot. Dsix36

"the future is uncertain and the end is always near"
Jim Morrison

Sorry, no I don't dive solo right now. When my cousin and I dive we tend to go deep and my computer (ProPlus) usually wants us to hang for a few minutes. He's my redundancy, I was basically thinking out loud, doubles vs a single and a slung tank or pony. Just doing some research.

Your sac rate + time + depth = correct tank choice. If you can do your current dives useing a lp 72, then you could do 2 dives on 1 set of hp 100's and have reserve gas at the end of dive # 2. If not bigger doubles or no doubles is your best choice. Also doubles without valve training or the discipline to dive indies with gas switches = another not so attractive scenario.
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom